BG looks to keep MAC Tourny hopes alive against OU

Andrew Kubuski, BG outfielder, stands in the batters box during the Falcons’ 10-2 win against Defiance College earlier this season.

After falling to Ohio State 8-4 Wednesday night, the BG baseball team will be back in action this weekend with a three-game set against Mid-American Conference rival Ohio.

The Falcons mustered only six hits against Ohio State’s pitching, and BG’s defense committed two errors, leading to three unearned runs being scored in the sixth inning.

Trevor Blaylock started for BG, lasting 2 2/3 innings and allowing three runs on six hits. Four of the six BG pitchers to throw in the game allowed runs, with Jason Link and Ben Singer contributing to the scoreless appearances.

Tyler Wynn hit his second home run of the season: a two-run shot in a three-run fifth inning that briefly tied the game. However, the Buckeyes answered with one run in the fifth inning, and three more in the sixth.

With the short break from conference play, the Falcons refocus their attention to MAC games for this weekend’s set with the Bobcats. The series marks a pivotal chance for the Falcons to pick up ground in the conference standings, as they are currently outside looking in at the MAC Tournament.

Ohio is 11-4 in conference games — six games ahead of BG in the MAC East. The Falcons are a game behind Miami for the final seed in the MAC Tournament.

However, BG is not playing a team you want to play when needing to make up ground. The Bobcats have by far the best team ERA in the MAC, led by perhaps the best one-two starting rotation in the conference.

All three of Ohio’s weekend starters sport an ERA under 3.60. But it has been the combo of Jason Moulton and Brent Choban that has been electric this season.

Moulton leads the team with a 2.41 ERA, though Choban’s 2.64 ERA is not far behind. The two have a combined record of 10-4 in 127 2/3 innings. While batters are hitting .294 off them this season, they have walked only 33 batters combined, versus 81 combined strikeouts.

In the bullpen, the Bobcats have three relievers who have thrown at least 30 innings and have a sub-3 ERA. Brett Barber leads the team with five saves, while Shane Cole leads the bullpen with a 2.51 ERA and has contributed two saves.

The Bobcats also have the most experienced manager in the MAC in Joe Carbone. He is in his 24th season at the helm of the Bobcats, and his second in MAC baseball history in wins with 683. He announced before the season that this would be his last before retiring.

Friday’s game is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m., while Saturday and Sunday’s games are set for 1 p.m. start times.