Staff departures lead to changes of senior positions

Several position changes will become effective on July 1 after some senior staff members decided to leave the University to pursue other opportunities elsewhere.

University President Carol Cartwright will not be filling the senior positions held by Linda Dobb, who left last August, or James Smith, who leaves at the end of June. Doug Smith, who also leaves at the end of June, position of vice president for University advancement will be re-focused on alumni and development.

Other changes will include a new communications officer for the University.

Kim McBroom, the associate vice president/director of marketing and communications, will be chief communications officer and report directly to Cartwright beginning in July.

As chief communication officer, McBroom will have the task of effectively conveying with students, faculty, and staff. McBroom will also work with marketing and communications to help with communication between different groups of the University.

‘It’s to be effective in recruitment and enrollment of students, retaining students, and communicate with faculty and staff, and students,’ she said.

Also, included in the changes are Rebecca Ferguson, who will be the chief human resources officer and will report to Cartwright.

Ferguson’s responsibilities will include helping on policy statements and helping to manage the budget. Ferguson will also help in supporting faculty and staff performance and development as part of the strategic plan at the University.

‘It’s part of my responsibility in my new role that we are finding ways to operationalize the strategic plan,’ she said.

These changes will help save a significant amount of money, according to Cartwright.

‘It’s about a half a million dollars [savings] when you think about salaries and benefits and office support and support staff,’ she said.

Despite the financial advantages Cartwright said there are some disadvantages with the senior staff reorganization.

People taking on additional roles will be able to do so without distracting what they do, she said.

The moves will also bring economic benefits, and benefits promoting both the University and the mission of the University, she said.

‘The bottom line is that we have to serve the mission of the institution and serve it well,’ she said.

Cartwright doesn’t believe the changes will have a direct impact on students attending the University because the changes are to positions where students have no interaction with those leaving.

‘These areas are just one step removed from direct connection with students,’ she said.

A GAME OF MUSICAL CHAIRS The following changes will occur July 1: Kim McBroom: The associate vice president /director of marketing and communications will become the chief communications officer’ where she will be responsible for marketing, internal communications and public media. Bruce Petryshak: The assistant vice president and chief information officer will become the chief information officer and report directly to President Carol Cartwright. Tim Smith: The former Sky Insurance executive will be joining the University as a consultant for economic development and regional partnerships. Albert Colom: The vice provost for enrollment management will become responsible for enrollment marketing strategies with McBroom’s division responsible for implementing the strategies. Marcia Latta: The senior associate vice president for University advancement and director of alumni and development will be the interim vice president for’ University advancement and interim president of the BGSU Foundation.