Local bands put on a show at Howard’s for WBGU-FM Band Bash

WBGU-FM hosted Band Bash at Howard’s Club H Friday night. The concert featured three local bands: Modern Hollows, Hello Luna and Pleased 2 Meet U.

This year marks the 70th anniversary of WBGU-FM, and Band Bash is the first of several opportunities to hear some of what the station has been backing for seven decades.

“WBGU is heavily devoted to the promotion and cultivation of local music,” Codey Albers, vocalist and keyboardist for Pleased 2 Meet U and WBGU-FM DJ, said. “We think it’s a valuable art form and produces positive effects on the community; it has the capacity to bring people together.”

Modern Hollows

Where did they get their start? Modern Hollows is no stranger to the University, as the members met in a club on campus and were the runners-up in last year’s WBGU-FM Battle of the Bands.

What’s their sound? They describe their music as indie folk with a bit of rock and pop. They have all of the core instruments found in most modern bands, plus a violin and cello.

Their Band Bash Performance? As the first band of the night, Modern Hollows had a smaller crowd to play to, but that did not lessen their energy. Drum, guitar and violin solos accented their EP “Strange Days” and covers of “Pumped Up Kicks” by Foster the People and “Superstition” by Stevie Wonder.

Hello Luna

Where did they get their start? Hello Luna is a collection of artists from Columbus, Ohio, who came together in 2016 after spending time on individual music projects.

What’s their sound? They describe their music as alternative pop rock. A female-fronted band, they balance melodic vocals characteristic of pop music with guitar, drum and bass sounds found in rock music.

Their Band Bash Performance? As more people came in, vocalist Kenzie Coyne asked everyone to move toward the stage, creating a more intimate show. They played every song on their EP “Ghost of You” along with a cover of “Say It Ain’t So” by Weezer. “Bowling Green, oh my goodness,” Coyne said from the stage.“Where have you been all my life? You guys are fantastic!”

Pleased 2 Meet U

Where did they get their start? Pleased 2 Meet U formed at the end of 2016 and has been an active participant in the Bowling Green music scene ever since. They have been written music and played shows at Howard’s and several events at the University, such as WBGU-FM’s Back to School Tie Dye Bash.

What is their sound? Pleased 2 Meet U’s music is along the lines of indie pop-rock. A few members of the band are multi-instrumentalists and are known for trading their instruments throughout a set.

Their Band Bash Performance? They interacted with the crowd the most. During a cover of “All These Things That I’ve Done” by The Killers, Albers stepped out from behind the keyboard and brought the microphone down into the crowd, urging audience members to sing a few lines of the song. From knock-knock jokes to banter between the band and the audience, Pleased 2 Meet U kept the fun going until the very end of the show.