Falcon athletes to follow this season

The Falcons fall sports season will feature a number of returning athletes who made an impact for their teams last year, as well as a few fresh faces that will appear on team rosters. The freshman athletes look to establish themselves with their on-field performance going forward.

Players to Watch – Volleyball

Returning Player to Watch – Isabel Kovacic

[[inline_image_identifier 8c3d24b8d5662d7e8a1c77e23225cfbc.jpg]]

Falcons outside hitter Isabel Kovacic had an outstanding season with the Falcons volleyball team last year, totaling 269 kills for 2.69 kills per set last season, along with a 21-kill performance against the Eastern Illinois Panthers, making it the best game of her career. As a result, Kovacic and the Falcons made it to the Mid-American Conference playoffs with a 10-6 conference record. In addition to the success on the field, Kovacic also earned Academic All-MAC honors as well as being awarded the Distinguished Scholar Athlete award in the MAC.

Freshman Player to Watch – Jacquelin Askin

[[inline_image_identifier ba30a5df0d4ae40036eab00988f66446.jpg]]

Falcons outside hitter Jacquelin Askin looks to continue her volleyball career with the Falcons, after helping the Assumption Rockets to two Kentucky High School Athletic Association championships in both 2013 and 2015, while also being named an All-Region player in 2015.

Players to Watch – Football

Returning player to watch – Scott Miller

[[inline_image_identifier 1bf305da67e47686a9cd90a4893fff68.jpg]]

Falcons wide receiver Scott Miller led the team’s receiving core last season with 10 touchdowns for 968 yards last season, averaging 13.1 yards per catch and finishing seventh overall in the Mid-American Conference in total receiving yards. In addition, Miller also earned First Team All-MAC honors. While the team had a 3-5 conference record last season, Miller looks to continue to be a weapon for the team’s improvement going into this season.

Freshman player to watch – Matthew Wilcox Jr.

[[inline_image_identifier 4185b9cecce4d313b4a990424199a74e.jpg]]

While there likely won’t be as many chances for freshman players to get starts this season as there were last season, Wilcox impressed in his high school career with the Wayne Warriors with 188 receptions, 25 touchdowns and 2,525 receiving yards for 13.4 yards per catch. He also had 22 rushing touchdowns and another 972 rushing yards. Because of these impressive statistics, Wilcox was named to the first team All-Greater Western Ohio Conference as well as the Dayton area’s player of the year. While it will be highly competitive to find a spot in the starting lineup this season, it would not be a surprise for Wilcox to make an impact for the team at some point down the road.

The Falcons volleyball team will next play on Aug. 25 at home against the Illinois-Chicago Flames, while the Falcons football team will begin their season on Sept. 2 on the road against the Michigan State Spartans.