Falcon 4 News: Week of October 18

Colin Powell dies

Colin Powell, “one of the most prominent and successful Black Americans in public life,” according to CNN Politics, has died at 84 years-old from complications of COVID-19.

Powell was a well respected man that had spent lots of time in the political world.

He started his career by serving two tours in Vietnam from 1958 to 1989, later in the year he was appointed by President George H.W. Bush to chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the president’s top military adviser. In this position he oversaw military actions like, the invasion of Panama to capture Gen. Manuel Noriega and the Persian Gulf war in 1991 to repel Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait. He later retired from the military in 1993.

In 2001, Powell was appointed by Pres. George W. Bush to be the first Black Secretary of State. His tenure included 9/11 and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Powell’s reputation suffered in 2003, after he made faulty claims to the U.N. Security Council about the U.S.’s case for war against Iraq. His information was that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein secretly stashed away weapons of mass destruction, according to the Associated Press. A month later, the U.S. invaded Iraq and no weapons of such power were found.

In 2005, Powell retired from government service but still sat on multiple boards, some of which included: Howard University, the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, the United Negro College Fund, African American Mursuem of History and Culture and more. 

Powell was immunocompromised as he had multiple myeloma, a type of cancer that suppresses someone’s immune system. His family notified the public via Facebook and noted that he was fully vaccinated.

Arrest warrants for former PIKEs 

On Oct. 15, an arrest warrant was issued by the Wood County Adult Probation Department for former BGSU student Jacob Krinn, one of those charged in the hazing death of Stone Foltz.

Court documents show Krinn of Delaware, Ohio violated the conditions of his electronic monitoring program. Krinn was charged earlier this year with first-degree and third-degree felony involuntary manslaughter, felonious assault, reckless homicide, obstructing official business, hazing and failure to comply with underage alcohol laws.

On Sept. 20 a warrant was issued for Benjamin Boyers, another one of the former students who received the same charges as Krinn, for violating the conditions of his electronic monitoring program. 

Boyers faces charges including involuntary manslaughter, hazing, tampering with evidence and failure to comply with underage drinking laws.

Wondering why your Wi-Fi is out?

BGSU has made a $4.7 million investment on upgrading wireless connections throughout campus and is planned to take 15 months to complete. 

This project will replace the entire wireless network and is going to update nearly 3,000 wireless access points across all it’s campuses, including: Bowling Green, Huron, Sandusky and Perrsysburg. 

In May, the wireless project started in Centennial Hall and worked its way through about five residence halls and various administrative buildings through the summer.  

Upgrading the University’s Wi-Fi coverage allows students to be able to rely on technology more. In addition to upgrading WAPs, access antennas are planned to be installed outside buildings to, “cover parking lots, particularly the commuter parking lot on the west and north sides of Perry Field House, as well as the other commuter lots around campus,” according to BGSU

Hattian gang kidnaps missionary group 

In a suburb in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti, 17 people were kidnapped by a gang. On Oct. 19, Haiti’s justice minister, Liszt Quitel said the gang demanded a ransom of $1 million for each person.

Of the 17 kidnapped, there are 16 Americans and one Canadian, five of which are children. This group is a part of a U.S.-based Christian aid group, called Christian Aid Ministries. 

Quitel said, “Often these gangs know these demands cannot be met and they will consider a counter offer from the families, and the negotiations can take a couple of days sometimes, or a couple of weeks.”