Men’s Golf finishes tenth in season opener at Island Resort Intercollegiate

Drake Harlett

Bowling Green Men’s Golf finished tenth out of eleven teams, shooting 871 as a team,  at The Island Resort Intercollegiate on Sept. 3-4 to open the 2023 season.

The University of Michigan won the tournament by five strokes, outshooting second place Illinois State 834 to 839.

For the Falcons, junior Darin Hudak had the best performance of the weekend, finishing 17th out of the 76 golfers in the field, shooting -4 under par (212).

Fellow junior Connor Gdovin was the only other Falcon to place in the top twenty. He finished 19th, shooting a perfect even par of 216 strokes over the three rounds.

Forty spots down the leaderboard was Thomas Bell. Bell finished in 59th place, shooting 224 strokes, which was good for eight over par.

Senior Dylan Fitchet finished in 61st place, shooting nine over par with 225 strokes. Rounding out the Falcons in 67th place was senior Brandon Rattray, who shot eleven over par with 227 strokes.

Head coach John Powers liked what he saw at the beginning of the tournament, but blamed depth in scoring for his team finishing lower on the leaderboard than he would’ve liked.

“We had a really nice start to the tournament but did not have enough depth in our scoring to keep up with the leaders. Darin Hudak had a very good week to finish in the top 20 in a very strong field. Connor Gdovin was also quite steady out there for all three rounds,” said Powers.

The Falcons travel to the Ball State Earl Yestingsmeier Invitational this weekend on Sept. 9-10.

For more information about BGSU Athletics, follow Falcon Media Sports Network on X (@bg_fmsn).