BGSU Baseball’s Kyle Hallock receives two-year contract extension

BGSU Baseballs Kyle Hallock receives two-year contract extension
Drake Harlett

BGSU Baseball Head Coach Kyle Hallock has signed a two-year contract extension, announced Thursday morning. The extension will keep Hallock in the Falcon dugout through the 2027 season. 

“Bowling Green Baseball continues to be in excellent hands under the leadership of Coach Kyle Hallock,” said BGSU Director of Athletics Derek van der Merwe. “He is dedicated not only to developing strong baseball players, but also to mentoring successful students who care about academics and giving back to the Bowling Green community.”

Hallock took over a tough rebuilding job, upon taking over as the BGSU skipper before the 2020-21 season. The program was disbanded for three weeks in May of 2020 before being reinstated three weeks later by way of donations from baseball alumni and donors. Hallock inherited a roster raided by players transferring to other schools, with a cloud hanging over the program. 

In three seasons, he has compiled a 58-94 record, including 45-63 in Mid-American Conference play. The team had a 20-30 record in 2023, finishing 13-17 in conference play.

There were huge steps into the future of the program during the season, including knocking off the fifth-ranked Louisville Cardinals, fielding a Freshman-All American in right-handed pitcher and outfielder D.J Newman, as well as garnering a program-record 17 players on the Academic All-MAC list. 

The former Kent State baseball standout and draft pick of the Houston Astros leads the pitching staff for the orange and brown, and helped one of the biggest turnarounds in a pitching staff this past season, as the pitching staff’s ERA went from 8.99 in 2022, all the way down to 5.75 in 2023, which was third in the MAC.  

The Falcons have yet to announce their 2024 schedule, which will be released soon.