Falcons fall in MAC Semifinal; create unlikely Championship matchup

Drake Harlett
Christine Erdman makes a play on the ball for Bowling Green.

Bowling Green women’s soccer entered the Mid-American Conference (MAC) semifinal as the #2 seed based on the regular season standings. They took the pitch in Kalamazoo, Michigan Thursday morning against the #6 seeded Ohio Bobcats, who advanced to the semifinals courtesy of a quarterfinal victory over the #3 seed Ball State Cardinals.

The Falcons controlled the pace of play for much of the first half and freshman Christine Erdman scored her first collegiate goal in the 37th minute to put the Falcons ahead 1-0.

The Bobcats flipped the script in the second half as Rayann Pruss scored for Ohio in the opening minute. Another Bobcat goal from Scout Murray nine minutes later put Ohio in front 2-1, proving too much for Bowling Green to overcome. The Falcons had chances throughout the second half but failed to find the back of the net.

Following the Bobcats 2-1 victory, the Kent State Golden Flashes handed the Western Michigan Broncos their first loss of the season and knocked the regular season champions out of the tournament. This sets the stage for the MAC Championship on Sunday when the #6 seed Bobcats take on the #4 seed Golden Flashes.

Kent State’s last tournament victory was in 2016, while the Bobcats had yet to win a MAC Tournament since its inception in 1997. The MAC Championship will kick off at 1 p.m. Sunday, November 5.