Falcon Four: Toledo Rockets

Drake Harlett

Week 12 has arrived and my goodness is it a beauty in Northwest Ohio with a matchup on I-75 between the Bowling Green Falcons (6-4, 4-2 MAC) and the Toledo Rockets (9-1, 6-0 MAC) 

Toledo comes into this game red hot as they’ve won their last nine games. Their lone loss came in week one when they lost to Illinois by two points. Along with that comes some national players to watch. 

Here are your Falcon Four players to watch for the MAC-leading Toledo Rockets. 

1. Quarterback Dequan Finn (#7) – You can’t talk about the Toledo Rockets offense this year and not mention Dequan Finn. Finn is a dual-threat quarterback for this deadly Toledo offense. He can kill you with his feet and his arm as Finn ranks first in all of the MAC and 20th over the whole country for total QBR (quarterback rating) as he sits at an impressive 74.5. Finn is the leader in this MAC-leading offense that has absolutely shredded defenses this year as he’s racked up over 2,000 yards for 18 touchdowns and if Bowling Green isn’t careful come Tuesday night, the Falcons can be in big trouble. 
  2. Running back Peny Boone (#13) – Another force to be reckoned with on the offensive side of the ball and yet another explosive player that can absolutely shred your defense up. Boone rushed for 1,042 yards and scored 12 touchdowns which both lead the MAC. Boon ranks 11th overall in the whole nation in rushing yards and shows no signs of stopping again. Like Finn, if you can’t contain Boone come Tuesday night, it will be a long night. 
  3. Cornerback Quinyon Mitchell (#27) – Quinyon Mitchell is a part of the defensive side of the ball now and as the offensive side often overshadows the defense with how explosive it is, don’t let that fool you for how good this defense is too. This defense ranked third in all the MAC for total defense and Mitchell is a big part of that. Mitchell ranks first in all of the MAC with passes deflected along with an interception as well. Mitchell can be all over the field at every opportunity he gets. If you throw his way, look out. 
  4. Linebacker Dallas Gant (#19) – Dallas Gant is a local kid as he graduated from St John’s Jesuit High School but originally committed and played for The Ohio State Buckeyes but decided to transfer these last two years of his eligibility and boy has he made a mark. Gant as a linebacker is everywhere and knows every next move. He leads the team in solo and total tackles along with being third for tackles for loss with 5.5. Gant makes his presence known when on the field and is definitely a player to watch come Tuesday night. 

There’s no question this Toledo team has talent, they’re 9-1 heading into this game with no signs of slowing down, and with it being a rivalry game just adds to the fire for both these teams. 

This will be the 88th time these two schools have met and every year it gets even more special. 

If you can’t make it to the game make sure you tune into Falcon Radio and join Reese Lannon and Brandon Loe for all your coverage of the battle of I-75 starting at 6:45, with kickoff soon after at 7.