Men’s basketball finishes Northern Classic 2-1 with 77-73 win over Canisius

Keira Ellenberger
Rashaun Agee drives to the hoop

Bowling Green men’s basketball concluded the Northern Classic on Sunday night, finishing the weekend with a record of 2-1 after defeating Canisius Golden Griffins 77-73. 

The Falcons went into the weekend on a three-game losing streak but now enter the upcoming week with new life, as the Falcons fly home with a two-game winning streak after back-to-back victories. 

Junior guard Marcus Hill got things started for BG with a mid-range jumper to tie the contest 2-2 a minute into the first half, followed by a pass to center Jason Spurgin that turned into a three-pointer put the Falcons up 5-2.  

The first half was very back and forth, with each team desperately trying to hold onto their leads. Eight minutes into the first half, the Golden Griffins went up by two points until a three-point shot by guard Da’Shawn Phillip put the Falcons up by two.  

After a last-second three by DJ Smith, the Orange and Brown went into halftime up 38-37. 

Unlike the first half, the Falcons held the lead for almost the entire second half of play.  

After a Rashaun Agee layup, the Falcons went up by nine points, their largest lead of the night.  

In the late stages of the second half, the Golden Griffins managed to tie the game 73-73. A quick layup by BG’s Hill put the Falcons up by two and sealed the game for Bowling Green.  

Hill had another high-scoring night for the Falcons, scoring 26 points on 10-21 shooting. Spurgin had 17 points on 6-10 shooting with seven rebounds.  

The Falcons shot an impressive 50% from the field goal range and 46.7% from the three-point line as a team. The Falcons grabbed 35 rebounds and only turned the ball over six times.  

With the win, BG improved to 4-3 on the season. Next, the Falcons travel to the University of Southern Indiana to take on the Screaming Eagles on Dec. 2, with tipoff at 4 p.m.