Around the MAC: Week of 11/27

ballstatesports.com

Do not adjust your calendars. Yes, we are already three weeks into the college basketball season.

The MAC has completed another week, itching closer and closer to sweet, sweet MACtion. 

For Bowling Green, they traveled to the great white north for the Northern Classic and finished 2-1.

A look at how the rest of the MAC fared this past week.  

Ball State 

Yes, the Ball State Cardinals are 5-1 after back-to-back victories against South Carolina-Upstate and Arkansas Pine-Bluff. The Cardinals have won three out of their last four contests.  

Both contests saw double-digit victories for the Cardinals. In the matchup against AR- Pine Bluff, Ball State went into halftime down by six points before scoring 52 points and allowing only 28 Golden Lions points in the second half.  

In the game against SC Upstate, Junior forward Mickey Pearson Jr scored 24 points on 9/14 shooting. Ball State shot 49.1% from the field goal range as a team.  

Next up- Little Rock on Nov 28 at 7:30 pm. 

Northern Illinois 

Yes, the Huskies started the season with a loss, but Northern Illinois have won five of six games to tie them for first place in the MAC standings. The Huskies defeated DePaul by ten points to seal their fifth straight win. 

The Huskies held the lead for almost the entire contest, with DePaul only able to tie the game twice in the first half. The Huskies shot 48.3% from the field goal range and 45.5% from the three-point line. 

Junior guard David Coit led the Huskies with 34 points on 11/19 shooting. Junior guard Zarique Nutter also scored 19 points on 7-14 shooting. 

Last night, the Huskies fell to Northwestern 89-67.

Akron 

After starting the season 4-0, the Zips have now dropped two straight to place them third on the MAC standings. The Zips suffered a three-point loss to USU and a twenty-point loss to Drake in their last matchups. 

Despite a late rally, Akron fell to Utah State 65-62. Despite the close score, the Zips had a rough night, shooting 37.7% from the field goal range and 20.8% from the three-point line. In their twenty-point loss against Drake, the Zips shot 43.8% and 23.8% from three.  

In the loss against USU, Senior forward Enrique Freeman recorded a double-double with 25 points on 8-11 shooting and grabbing 13 rebounds.  

Next up- UNLV on Nov 28 at 10:00 p.m. 

Ohio 

The Bobcats are yet another team in the MAC on a two-game winning streak. Ohio had back-to-back victories against Middle Tennessee State and Brown. The Bobcats now sit at 4-2 on the season, well above .500. 

Ohio won by 12 points in their matchup against MTSU. The Bobcats scored 40 points in each half of play. Ohio shot 59.3% from the field and 40.9% from the three-point line. In addition, they held UNLV to shoot 23.1% from three-point range. 

Senior guard Shreef Mitchell scored 24 points on 7-9 shooting and 8-11 from the free throw line in the five-point victory against Brown University. 

Next up- Delaware on Dec 2 at 2:00 p.m.  

Eastern Michigan 

The Eagles finished their week in the MAC with a record of 2-1, with a two-point loss against North Dakota snapping their three-game winning streak. Every game with the Eagles was close this week, defeating Detroit Mercy by four, Central Arkansas by three and losing to North Dakota by two.  

The Eagles had one of their best shooting nights in their victory against Detroit Mercy this past week. Eastern Michigan shot 63.6% from field goal range and 50% from the three-point line, scoring 76 points. 

Junior guard Tyson Acuff led the Eagles in scoring in all three contests this week. In the loss against North Dakota, Acuff scored 31 points on 12-19 shooting.  

Next up- Lake Superior on Dec 1 at 7:00 p.m. 

Kent State 

The reigning MAC Tournament champions finished the week with one loss and one win. The Golden Flashes picked up a seven-point victory against Fordham before falling to Charleston by six points.  

In their victory against Fordham, the Golden Flashes shot 43.1% from the field goal range and grabbed 37 rebounds. Unfortunately for Kent State, they also turned the ball over 20 times and shot 33.3% from three.  

In the loss to Charleston, Junior guard Jalen Sullinger scored 23 points on 6-14 shooting and shot 8-8 from the free throw line.  

Next up- Shawnee State on Nov 30 at 7:00 p.m. 

Toledo

BG’s I-75 rivals are on quite an unfortunate streak. After beginning the season 3-0, the Toledo Rockets have now had a 180 and have lost three straight games. The losses were against New Mexico, University of California-Irvine and Indiana State.  

In their last loss against Indiana St., the Rockets tied the game 69-69 in the final three minutes of the second half before Indiana St outscored them in the final minutes. Toledo shot 50% from the field in the matchup and 28.6% from the three-point line. 

In the loss against New Mexico, Junior guard Dante Maddox Jr scored 23 points on 8-16 shooting, recording five rebounds in the contest. 

Next up- George Mason on Dec 2 at 7:00 p.m.  

Miami OH 

The RedHawks had one lone game of matchups this past week. Miami OH suffered a 30-point loss to SBU 90-60.  

Miami OH only scored 18 points in the first half compared to St. Bonaventure’s 46 points. Despite the RedHawks managing to score 44 points in the second half, it was too little too late. Miami OH shot 39.3% from the field and 25.9% from the three-point line.  

Senior guard Darweshi Hunter led the team with 17 points on 6-14 shooting. 

Next up- Spalding on Nov 28 at 7:00 p.m. 

Central Michigan 

The Chippewas finished their third week of basketball with one win and one loss. Central Michigan won against Siena before losing to Stenson by ten. 

The Chippewas defeated Siena by 14 points. Central Michigan shot 48.1% from the field goal range and 42.9% from the three-point line. Central Michigan only turned the ball over 11 times compared to Sienna’s 21 turnovers.  

In the victory against Siena, Senior guard Brian Taylor scored 21 points on 7-12 shooting, going 5-6 from the free throw line.  

Next up- Ohio State on Nov 29 at 7:00 p.m. 

Western Michigan 

After beginning the season 0-4, the Broncos have won two straight games against Southeast Louisiana and Mercer.  

The Broncos managed to knock off a one-point victory against SE Louisiana. Guard Seth Hubbard hit a last-second two-point shot that stole the game for Western Michigan.  

Hubbard led the Broncos with 18 points on 7-10 shooting against SE Louisiana.  

Next up- St Thomas on Dec 1 at 5:00 p.m. 

Buffalo 

After winning their first game of the season against Rob Wesleyan, the Bulls have now lost three games in a row to put their overall record on the season at 1-5. 

Buffalo lost to Hofstra by 34 points, Louisiana by eight points and Iona by 25. In their last loss against Iona, Buffalo shot 42.0% from the field and 26.1% from the three-point line. Their opponents, however, shot 52.3% from the field and 56.5% from beyond the arch.  

Senior forward Sy Chatman led the Bulls in scoring this matchup against Iona with 14 points. 

Next up- James Madison on Nov 29 at 7:00 p.m.