Off the Dribble: Falcons firing on all cylinders during four-game winning streak

Drake Harlett
Rashaun Ageee dunking the ball

The Bowling Green men’s basketball team has won a season-high four consecutive games, most recently putting on their best performance of the season in a dominating 97-49 victory over Ohio Dominican.   

The Falcons, who have the longest current winning streak in the Mid-American Conference (MAC), are now tied with Akron for the third-best overall record in the conference at 6-3.   

BG’s defense was once again the story in their 48-point win over the Panthers.  

The Falcons held ODU to just 29.2% (19-65) shooting from the field and 20.8% (5-24) from beyond the arc.  

Across their four-game winning streak, BGSU has held opponents to just 58.8 points per game, 37.1% shooting from the field and 29.2% from three-point range.  

The Falcons have held four of their last five opponents under 40% shooting from the field.  

The 49 points scored by Ohio Dominican marks the second time BG has held an opponent to under 50 points this season, following their season-opening victory against Chicago State, when the Falcons held the Cougars to just 41 points.  

This marks the first time the Orange and Brown have held multiple opponents to under the half-century mark in the same season since the 2014-2015 campaign when they did it five times.  

Through nine games this season, Bowling Green ranks first in the MAC in opponent field goal percentage (40.1%) and opponent points per game (65.4). 

While the Falcons dominated on defense, they also controlled the boards and won the discipline battle against ODU.  

Along with a season-high 11 steals and seven blocks against the Panthers, BG tallied a season-high 53 rebounds, marking the first time the Orange and Brown have grabbed at least 50 boards since recording 56 rebounds against Buffalo on Jan. 15, 2021.  

This season, BGSU leads the MAC with 39.1 rebounds per game. 

Bowling Green also drew 26 fouls against ODU, attempting 40 free throws and draining 32 of them, both of which are season highs.   

This is a great sign for a Falcons team that has been struggling from the charity stripe all season, coming into the matchup against Ohio Dominican shooting just 60.1% on free throws.  

BG was firing on all cylinders in their fourth straight victory, with the wealth being spread around the team all game long.  

Senior forward Rashaun Agee led the Falcons in scoring for the first time this season, finishing with 17 points.  

The Chicago, Illinois, native also added 11 rebounds, including a career-high seven offensive boards, for his first double-double of the season and second in a Bowling Green uniform. Agee ranks fifth in the MAC with 7.1 rebounds per game. 

Sophomore guard P.J. Edwards also tallied a double-double, finishing with 11 points and a team-leading and career-high 12 rebounds, the most by a Falcons in a game this season.  

Agee and Edwards’ performances marked the first time two Falcons had a double-double in the same game since Jan. 8, 2022.  

Senior center Jason Spurgin almost pushed that number to three, falling just short of a double-double, finishing with eight points and 10 rebounds.  

Senior guard Trey Thomas, who started the season injured, continues to play better each game since returning.  

Thomas scored a season-high 16, missing his career-high by just one point. He also matched his career high with six field goals made, along with leading the Falcons with three three-pointers.  

Junior guard Marcus Hill and senior guard DaJion Humphrey rounded out BG’s season-high five double-digit scorers against Ohio Dominican, finishing with 17 and 10, respectively. Hill ranks second in the MAC with 19.3 points per game.  

Freshman guard EJay Greer tallied career highs with nine points, three rebounds, a team-high three steals and two assists in a career-high 24 minutes played.  

Sophomore guard JZ Zaher and sophomore forward Greg Spurgin finished with a season-high 14 and 13 minutes played, respectively.  

Zaher scored a career-high four points, drained his first collegiate three-pointer and registered his first four rebounds with BGSU.  

Meanwhile, Greg Spurgin recorded his first three points, first rebound and first assist in a Bowling Green uniform.  

It’s safe to say the Falcons are firing on all cylinders right now. The offense is gaining more consistency, the defense is continuing to play great and head coach Todd Simon is getting solid performances from nearly every player on the roster.  

Unlike most good teams, this Bowling Green team does not seem to have that one star that stands out among the rest, which is not necessarily a bad thing.  

Instead, the Falcons are a group of good players who, when playing together like they have for the past four games, are a very tough team to beat.  

Next up for the Falcons is four straight home games at the Stroh Center, starting with a matchup against Kansas City on Saturday, Dec. 16, with tip-off set for 2 p.m. 

After that, the Orange and Brown will battle Hampton on Dec. 19 and Sienna Heights on Dec. 22 before starting conference play against Eastern Michigan on Jan. 2. 

For more information related to the team, follow us on X at @bg_fmsn.