BGSU MBB vs Kansas City preview: Falcons continue five-game homestand with battle against Roos

Drake Harlett
Marcus Hill dribbles the ball against Ohio Dominican

The Bowling Green men’s basketball team, riding a season-best four-game winning streak, is set to continue their five-game homestand by battling the Kansas City Roos on Saturday, Dec. 16.  

Matchup History  

The matchup on Saturday will mark the second meeting all-time between the two teams.  

Kansas City won the first matchup on Nov. 16, 2016, hitting the go-ahead basket with 2.2 seconds to walk out of the Stroh Center with the 71-69 victory.  

Scouting Kansas City  

Kansas City enters the matchup against the Falcons with a 5-6 record this season.   

After falling to the second-ranked Kansas Jayhawks, who they trailed by just five points at halftime, for their sixth loss in seven games, the Roos have won two in a row, defeating Lindenwood, 72-67, and Tabor, 80-57.  

While they are undefeated at home, they struggle on the road, holding an away record of 1-3 and a neutral record of 0-3 this season.  

They have been one of the worst offensive teams in the Summit League Conference.  

KCU is averaging 72.5 points per game and shooting 33.6% from beyond the arc, ranking second to last in the Summit League Conference in both categories.   

The Roos also shoot 43.7% from the field and 62.4% from the charity stripe, the worst in the conference.  

Kansas City’s defense has been slightly better this season. They allow 69.2 points per game, with opponents shooting 43.6% from the field and 35.7% from beyond the arc.  

However, rebounding has been a strength for KCU, averaging 37.8 boards per game.  

They rank second in the Summit League Conference with 13.2 offensive rebounds per game and a rebounding margin of 6.6.  

Scouting Bowling Green  

Bowling enters the matchup on Saturday with a 6-3 record this season.  

After losing a season-worst three games in a row to Oakland, Bellarmine and Western Kentucky, the Falcons have won a season-best four games in a row, defeating Lipscomb, Canisius, Southern Indiana and Ohio Dominican.  

BG’s offense this season can be best defined as inconsistent.  

The orange and nrown are averaging 72.8 points per game, shooting 44.2% from the field, 30.1% from beyond the arc and 64.5% from the free-throw line.  

However, their defense has been dominant.  

The Falcons allow just 65.4 points per game, second best in the Mid-American Conference (MAC), and an opponent field goal percentage of 40.1%, best in the MAC.  

Over their past five games, BG has held four opponents under 40% shooting from the field. Over the five games, opponents have averaged just 36.6% from the field.  

Bowling Green has also been dominant on the glass. BGSU leads the MAC with 39.1 rebounds per game and 28.9 defensive boards per game. In their latest win, BG recorded a season-high 53 rebounds.  

Falcon Four Players to Watch  

Rashaun Agee (Bowling Green #12)  

The senior forward has been very valuable for the Falcons this season.   

Agee leads the team and ranks fifth in the MAC with 7.1 rebounds per game. He is also shooting 58.3% from the field, ranking eighth in the MAC.  

The Chicago, Illinois, native is coming off his best performance of the season. Against Ohio Dominican, Agee led the Falcons in scoring for the first time this season with 17 points, along with grabbing 11 rebounds for his first double-double of the season.  

Agee will also be chasing a milestone against the Roos. He sits just 13 points away from 1,000 career collegiate points.  

Trey Thomas (Bowling Green #1)  

The senior guard started the season injured and did not play until the team’s fifth game of the season.  

However, Thomas has shown improvement in every game since his Bowling Green debut.  

The Toronto, Ontario, Canada, native is coming off his best performance of the season.  

Thomas scored a season-high 16, missing his career-high by one point. He also matched his career high with six field goals made, along with leading the Falcons with three three-pointers.    

Jamar Brown (Kansas City #5)  

The junior, who plays both guard and forward, leads Kansas City with 14.2 points and 5.5 rebounds per game.  

In their latest game against Tabor, Brown scored a team-leading and season-high 29 points, shooting 12-21 from the field and 4-8 from beyond the arc.  

The Chandler, Arizona, native also ranks fifth in the Summit League Conference with 1.4 steals per game.  

Brown transferred to KCU after playing last season at Phoenix College, where he led the Arizona Community College Athletic Conference with 22.8 points per game and was named a second-team National Junior College Athletic Association All-American.  

Cameron Faas (Kansas City #30)  

The junior, who plays both guard and forward, has been Kansas City’s primary three-point shooter.   

Faas leads the team and the Summit League Conference with a 47.8% three-point percentage. He also leads the conference with 2.9 three-pointers per game.  

While the Scottsdale, Arizona, native struggled from deep in Kansas City’s last game, going just 2-8, he finished 5-7 and 6-10 from beyond the arc in the team’s previous two games.