Falcons fall short in MAC opener; Weilbacher wins three events

BGSU Athletics
BGSU’s Kathryn Weilbacher

On Saturday, BGSU gymnastics opened up their Mid-American Conference season with a narrow 194.050-193.000 loss versus the Northern Illinois Huskies. After coming out on top in the first rotation, the Falcons fell short on the bars to make for a close meet.

While rotations on the beam and floor went more smoothly for the Falcons and Kathyrn Weilbacher won three events, it still wasn’t enough to pace the Huskies.

Here’s how it happened. 

Starting off, Weilbacher led the Falcons with a 9.800 in the bars, her current season high, and a 9.850 on the vault, winning the event and logging the highest score of any event during the meet.  

The meet saw two more Falcon debuts, Keira Thornton’s collegiate debut on the all-around/beam and senior Lauren Bannister’s season debut on the floor.  

During the third rotation, sophomore Elise Brzoska tied her career high on beam, eventually winning the event for the Orange and Brown.  

For the last rotation, the Falcons were led by Weilbacher on the floor, who secured the floor event and all-around title with 39.22 points as a result of her performance in the event. 

Ultimately, the meet’s fate came down to the bars event where the Falcons only scored 47.450 points compared to last week’s 48.575.  

From here, Bowling Green will go on the road to continue their season, traveling to Ball State next Monday, the 22nd, with a 7 pm start time.