BGSU MBB vs Western Michigan preview

Jack Walsh
Marcus Hill guarding the Ohio player

The Bowling Green men’s basketball team seeks to continue their winning streak against Western Michigan on Saturday, Jan. 20.   

Tip-off against the Broncos is set for 2 p.m. at the Stroh Center. Falcon Media Sports Network’s Tyler Kavalecz and Lucas Kleimeyer will guide you through the action on Falcon Radio beginning at 1:40 p.m. for pregame.  

With a win, Bowling Green would match last year’s win total in the MAC and secure their best start through 18 games since the 2001-2002 season.  

A win would also make Todd Simon just the second Bowling Green head coach in program history to start 5-1 in Mid-American Conference (MAC) play in their first season leading the Falcons, joining Bill Fitch, who accomplished the feat during the 1967-1968 campaign, the last time BG advanced to the NCAA Tournament. 

Matchup History  

Saturday’s contest will mark the 127th all-time meeting between the two teams, with Bowling Green holding the advantage in the series, 75-51.  

Western Michigan won the last battle, defeating the Falcons in a high-scoring contest in Kalamazoo on Jan. 14, 2023, 108-92. While the Broncos have won two in a row against BG, the Falcons have five of the last eight contests against WMU.  

When playing in Bowling Green, the Orange and Brown are 43-18 against the Broncos. However, Western Michigan has won two games in a row at the Stroh Center, with BG’s last home win against WMU dating back to Jan. 19, 2019.  

Scouting Western Michigan  

Western Michigan enters the contest in fourth place in the MAC, holding an overall record of 7-10 and a conference record of 4-1.  

The Broncos are coming off an 11-point loss against Akron on Tuesday. Before losing to the Zips, the Broncos had won five games in a row, their longest winning streak since the 2016-2017 season, and held a 4-0 record in conference play for the first time since the 2004-2005 campaign.  

Overall, Western Michigan’s offense has been middle of the pack in the MAC. They rank sixth in the conference with a 45.5% field goal percentage, seventh with a 35.4% three-point percentage and eighth with 74.4 points scored per game.  

WMU has also struggled mightily at the charity stripe this season. They have made just 62.1% of their free throws, the worst mark in the MAC and the seventh-worst mark in the country.  

Western Michigan has also had trouble with ball security this season, turning the ball over 13.2 times per game, the second most in the MAC.  

However, the Broncos have been red hot on offense since MAC play started.  

Western Michigan is averaging 81.4 points per game during conference play, the highest mark in the MAC. They scored at least 81 points in their first four conference games before scoring just 66 against Akron.  

Defense has not been a strength for WMU this season.  

While the Broncos hold opponents to 45.2% shooting from the field, ranking sixth in the MAC, they allow 76.2 points per game and a 35.8% opponent three-point percentage, the fourth and second-worst marks in the conference, respectively.  

However, rebounding has been a strength for Western Michigan this season.  

The Broncos grab 12.3 offensive rebounds and 37.5 total rebounds per game, the best and second-best marks in the MAC, respectively.  

Scouting Bowling Green  

The Falcons enter the contest in third place in the MAC, holding an overall record of 13-4 and a conference record of 4-1.   

BG has been especially dominant at home this season. The Falcons are 8-1 at the Stroh Center and have won six straight games in Bowling Green.  

The Falcons have been on fire recently, winners of three straight and 11 of their last 12 contests.  

Bowling Green’s offensive numbers do not jump off the page.  

While BG scores 75.9 points per game, the sixth most in the MAC, they shoot just 44.7% on field goals and 31.4% on three-pointers, ranking ninth and 10th in the conference, respectively.  

The Falcons have also struggled at the charity stripe this season, shooting just 66.6% on free throws, the fourth-worst mark in the MAC.  

However, like WMU, BGSU’s offense has been better since the new year started, as the Falcons have averaged 80.6 points per game during conference play, the second-best mark in the MAC.  

The Falcons have been one of the best defensive units in the MAC this season.  

Along with holding opponents to just 42.7% shooting from the field, the best mark in the MAC, the Falcons hold opponents to 69.2 points per game and 33.5% shooting on three-pointers, the second and fifth-best marks in the conference, respectively.   

Like Western Michigan, Bowling Green is also one of the best rebounding teams in the MAC.  

The Falcons lead the conference with 38.2 rebounds and 27.8 defensive rebounds per game.  

Falcon Four Players to Watch  

Rashaun Agee (Bowling Green #12)  

The senior forward has been on a tear recently, averaging 13.2 points and 9.8 rebounds over the past 12 games.   

The reigning Co-MAC Player of the Week has led the Falcons in points, rebounds or assists in nine straight games and 11 of BG’s past 12 contests.  

The Chicago, Illinois, native has scored double-digit points in nine consecutive games, recording six double-doubles during that span.  

Marcus Hill (Bowling Green #0)  

The junior guard has been one of the most prolific scorers in the MAC this season, averaging 20.2 points per game, the second-best mark in the conference.  

Hill has scored double-digit points in 15 of Bowling Green’s 17 games this season, including leading the Falcons in scoring 10 times.  

At his current pace, Hill is on track to finish with 627 points scored this season, which would be the fifth most points scored by a Falcon in a single season.  

Seth Hubbard (Western Michigan #12)  

The sophomore guard, who was named to the All-MAC Freshman Team last season, has been at the center of Western Michigan’s offense this season.  

Hubbard leads the Broncos and ranks eighth in the conference with 16.3 points per game. The Jonesboro, Georgia, native has scored double-digit points in seven of the last eight games and 14 of WMU’s 17 games this season.  

The last time Hubbard played against the Falcons, he scored 15 points in 17 minutes, shooting a perfect 6-6 from the field, 1-1 from beyond the arc and 2-2 from the charity stripe.  

Titus Wright (Western Michigan #22)  

The 6-foot-8-inch senior center has been a key piece for Western Michigan this season.  

Wright averages 6.4 points per game on 56.4% shooting from the field, albeit on just 78 field goal attempts. Last season, he shot 58.7% from the field, the seventh-best field goal percentage in a single season in WMU history.  

The Thomasville, Georgia, native also averages 4.5 rebounds per game and has grabbed 37 offensive rebounds this season, the fifth most in the MAC.  

The last time Wright played against BG, he tallied 13 points, seven total rebounds, three offensive rebounds and four personal fouls in just 11 minutes of action.