Bowling Green tennis wins home opener against Western Illinois

Pixabay

PERRYSBURG, Ohio — Homecoming was sweet for the Falcons, as the Bowling Green Falcons reigned victorious in convincing fashion over the Western Illinois Leathernecks by a score of 7-0 at the Perrysburg Tennis Center.

The first two matches of the season were close ones, with both being decided by one point. The orange and brown used powerful backhands and smart positioning to keep the opponents at bay.

In the doubles slate, all three doubles teams won their matches. From there, the Falcons took this momentum in to the singles slate and swept the Leathernecks there as well.

Lucy Furness dropped her first set by a score of 2-6 but would then step on the gas to win the next two sets, 6-3 and 6-4. Freshman Tia Clemens fought through the most competitive match of her night, as she and opponent Maria Rybka split the first two sets before Clemens won the third 11-9.

Leticia Fonseca, played commanding tennis against WIU’s Aina Cortina Pou, winning by a score of 6-1 and 6-0. She totaled a team-best 11 singles wins in the 2022-23 spring season, including six straight to end the season, and she is not showing any signs of slowing down.

This is the second time during head coach Mike Bonnell’s tenure that the Falcons were able to sweep their opponent. The first time came in the first match of the 2022-23 season at Holy Cross.

The Falcons will again be at home on Feb. 3, as they will host the University of Illinois-Chicago Flames at 5:30 p.m.

View Comments (1)
$725
$1500