Rivelli sets career record on the road at WMU in loss for BGSU gymnastics

Jack Rintamaa

Earlier this afternoon, BGSU gymnastics fell to the Western Michigan Broncos, granting them a win for their Mid-American Conference season opener. Despite earning their fourth loss of the season, Bowling Green continues to push forward and shine in individual performances. The Broncos took the meet with a final score of 196.425-194.825, with the Falcons logging their highest team score of the season.

Here’s what you missed.

Starting off for the orange and brown, Kathryn Weilbacher finished in third place on the vault with a 9.825 score. Later in the meet, Weilbacher would also go on to win the all-around for the third time this season with a score of 39.125.

Moving to the bars, where the Falcons performed the best, bars specialist Isabella Rivelli set the highest score of her career. With Rivelli’s 9.925 score, the Falcons logged 49.000 points as a team in the event. Rivelli set a new personal record for herself, while also tying for fourth place on the BG career list.

Coming off the bars hot, Megan Bingham ran the show on the beam. Bingham, who also placed fifth on the bars, won the beam event with a 9.925 score. With this high-scoring performance on the books, Bingham is now tied for the fifth highest score on the beam in BGSU history.

During the last rotation, Keira Thornton led the Falcons on the floor, placing fourth in the event with a 9.850 score.

As the season continues and Bowling Green works out the kinks, they continue to set new PRs individually and score higher and higher on their team totals.

From here, the Falcons return home for a tri-meet Central Michigan and Wisconsin-Oshkosh next Sunday, Feb. 4 with a 2 p.m. start time.