BGSU MBB vs CMU: Falcons set to battle red-hot Chippewas

Drake Harlett
Sam Towns (14) going up for the shot

The Bowling Green men’s basketball team returns to the Stroh Center for a two-game homestand, starting with a matchup against the Central Michigan Chippewas on Saturday, Feb. 3. 

Falcon Media Sports Network’s Austin Roose will have the call of the game on Falcon Radio starting at 4:45 for pregame and 5 p.m. for tip-off. 

The meeting will mark the first time BGSU head coach Todd Simon has faced his alma mater in conference play. 

A win would mark BG’s best record through 22 games and 10 Mid-American Conference (MAC) games since the 2019-2020 season. A victory would also move the Falcons into a tie with Central Michigan for third place in the conference standings. 

Matchup History  

The contest will mark the 87th all-time meeting between the two teams, with Bowling Green leading the series 45-41, including a 25-15 advantage when playing in BG.  

However, the Chippewas won the last matchup against BGSU, defeating the Falcons 77-74 on Feb. 14, 2023, at the Stroh Center.  

The Orange and Brown’s last win against Central Michigan at the Stroh Center dates back to Jan. 5, 2021.  

Scouting Central Michigan   

Central Michigan enters the contest in third place in the MAC standings, with a 12-9 overall and 7-2 conference record.  

CMU has been one of the most surprising stories in the MAC this season. After finishing last season just 10-21 overall, 5-13 in the conference and missing the MAC Tournament, Central Michigan has been one of the better teams in the conference this season.  

The Chippewas have won four consecutive games, the longest active winning streak in the MAC. During the recent stretch, CMU has taken down Toledo (14-7, 8-1 MAC), Miami (OH) (11-10, 5-4 MAC), Western Michigan (8-13, 5-4 MAC) and Northern Illinois (6-14, 0-8 MAC).  

In their last game against the Huskies on Tuesday, Central Michigan won in double overtime, 84-77.  

CMU’s offense has not been a dominant force this season.  

The Chippewas rank 10th in the MAC with 67.6 points per game and a 31.6% three-point percentage. They also rank second-to-last in the conference with a 43.3% field goal percentage.  

However, Central Michigan’s offense has been one of the better units in the MAC this season.  

The Chippewas hold opponents to just 31.3% shooting on three-pointers, the second-best mark in the MAC. CMU also hold opponents to 43.7% shooting from the field and 71.5 points per game, ranking fourth and fifth in the conference, respectively.  

The Maroon and Gold’s defense has been especially dominant during MAC play.  

Against MAC teams, Central Michigan has held opponents to just 39.8% shooting from the field and 27.4% on three-pointers, the best marks in the conference. The Chippewas have also held MAC opponents to just 65.4 points per game, the second-best mark in the conference.  

Central Michigan has been one of the worst rebounding teams in the MAC this season. The Chippewas grab just 34.3 rebounds per game, the fourth fewest in the conference.  

However, the script has been flipped during MAC play.   

Against conference opponents, CMU has grabbed 26.9 defensive rebounds per game, the most in the conference. The Chippewas have also averaged 36.1 total rebounds per game against conference opponents, trailing just BG and Western Michigan in that category.  

Scouting Bowling Green  

Bowling Green enters the contest in fourth place in the MAC standings, holding a 15-6 overall and 6-3 conference record.  

After dropping two straight games against Kent State and Toledo last week for just the second time this season, the Falcons rebounded with a nine-point victory over Ball State on Tuesday night, defeating the Cardinals 81-72 in Muncie, Indiana.  

Bowling Green has been the fourth-highest-scoring team in the MAC this season, averaging 76.8 points per game. However, they have struggled with efficiency at times, shooting 44.8% from the field and 32.1% on three-pointers, ranking eighth and ninth in the conference, respectively.  

BG’s offense has been firing on all cylinders during MAC play.  

The Falcons are averaging 80.4 points per game against conference opponents, tied with Toledo for the best mark in the MAC.  

The Falcons have also been a solid defensive team this season, although they have not been as dominant recently.  

BG holds opponents to 43.9% shooting from the field and 71.7 points per game, ranking fifth and sixth in the MAC, respectively. However, they have struggled to defend around the arc, allowing opponents to shoot 35.8% on three-pointers, the second-worst mark in the conference.  

The defense has especially struggled during MAC play.  

The Falcons allow conference opponents to shoot 48.6% from the field, score 80.6 points per game and shoot 40.5% on three-pointers, ranking 10th, 11th and last in the MAC, respectively.  

One of Bowling Green’s biggest strengths this season has been rebounding.  

The Falcons lead the MAC with 38.1 rebounds and 27.3 defensive rebounds per game. BG also outrebounds opponents by three boards per game, the second-best mark in the conference, and grabs 10.8 offensive rebounds per game, the fourth-best mark in the conference. 

Falcon Four Players to Watch  

Marcus Hill (Bowling Green #0)  

The junior guard continues to excel in his first season at the Division I level. 

Hill leads the MAC and ranks 11th in the nation with 21.2 points scored per game. Hill has averaged 23.8 points per game against conference opponents, leading the MAC. 

The Rockford, Illinois, native has scored at least 20 points in six straight games, including a 28-point performance where he made 12 straight field goals against Ball State on Tuesday. 

Rashaun Agee (Bowling Green #12) 

The senior forward has been a dominant force this season. 

Agee leads the MAC with 72 offensive rebounds and a 59.3% field goal percentage. He also ranks third in the conference with 9.0 rebounds per game. 

The Chicago, Illinois, native has scored double-digit points in 13 consecutive contests, recording nine double-doubles during that span. 

Anthony Pritchard (Central Michigan #30)  

The junior guard, who played the last two seasons at Tulsa, leads Central Michigan in scoring with 14.6 PPG.   

Pritchard also leads the Chippewas and ranks second in the MAC with 4.7 assists and 1.8 steals per game.  

The Tulsa, Oklahoma, native has scored double-digit points in nine straight contests and is averaging 16.6 points per game during MAC player, the ninth-best mark in the conference.  

Brian Taylor (Central Michigan #0)  

The fifth-year guard has been dominant on the boards for Central Michigan this season, grabbing 124 defensive rebounds and 7.5 rebounds per game, the second and sixth-best marks in the MAC, respectively.  

Along with scoring 12.2 points per game, the second-most on the team, the Detroit, Michigan, native has been automatic from the charity stripe this season, ranking third in the MAC with an 86.2% free throw percentage.  

In Central Michigan’s last game against NIU, Taylor finished with 13 points and 12 rebounds, his fifth double-double of the season.