Spaces made for Black students

Spaces made for Black students

For many people of color attending predominately white institutions (PWI) like BGSU, having spaces and organizations on campus can make all of the difference toward feeling accepted and less isolated. 

Students of color attending predominantly white institutions (PWI), may experience isolation and  

Destiny Dortch, a senior biology pre-med major, is one of four students that run bc.bgsu, an instagram page created to unite the Black community at BGSU and retain minority connectivity and presence on campus.

Dortch says that it’s important to have, especially at BGSU. 

“The importance to me would be like having a centralized spot where any org of any minority group would be able to come and we could help spread awareness about their events, their fundraisers and basically just get the word out more…and faster,” Dortch said. 

Currently, the page is managed by Dortch, Sunny Dicks, Maria Duffy and Aniyah Johnson. 

They say the idea started by Taija Elder, a BGSU alumna, who wanted to promote Black retention on campus and keep Black students active within the community. 

“Being black at a PWI can be kind of tough to find the niche of where you can go and connect with people that look like you. So I would definitely see that as a very important space, especially for minorities when they come to campus and are like, ‘Oh I’m from a predominantly Black or predominantly Latino community and I want to hang out or get to know more people that look like me and come from where I’m from,”  Dortch said. 

“Definitely a space where people can connect with other students through the comments, (and) through the likes,” she said. 

Since the page has started, the page’s content creators said the goal has always been to unite students and provide a space for Black students to become more active at BGSU. 

“Every PWI has a mini historically black college and university (HBCU) in it, you just have to find it. We try to be the hub for the mini HBCU at BG,” Dortch said. 

Black orgs on campus 

There are over 15 organizations on campus with a direct focus towards black Black and minority students according to the BGSU Organization Directory and the Office of Multiculutural Affairs’ organization list. 

Here is a list of some of the organizations on campus and what they do according to their directory descriptions. 

Black Student Union

Founded in 1969, BSU’s mission is to “exist to create a cultural and political awareness amongst the Black and overall campus community through programming and initiatives that promote unity, leadership and scholarship.” 

Their instagram is bsu_bgsu. 

K.I.N.G.S of Color

K.I.N.G.S of Color exists for an “African American Male Initiative”, for the purpose of serving the Black community and helping others strive for campus through brotherhood that can last throughout and past college. 

Their instagram is koc_bgsu. 

Queens of Color 

Queens of Color’s mission is to uplift, empower and build healthy relationships among women of color at BGSU. 

Their instagram is queens_of_color. 

Curly Connections 

Curly Connections is an organization on campus created for women of color with naturally curly hair that attend PWIs. The mission is to connect women with resources available for their natural hair needs and build community through events and workshops. 

Their instagram is bgsu_curlyconnection.

Events being hosted for BHM 

Beyond student organizations to join on campus, BGSU’s Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA)  and other varying orgs are hosting several events throughout Black History Month for students to attend. 

Here are some listed below.

• OMA & Fad Watch Skate Night in the BTSU Ballroom on Feb. 9 from 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. 
    • OMA & Black Student Union Pub takeover and Open Mic Night in Pub 1910 on Feb. 13 at 7 p.m. 
    • Sister to Sister and We Got Each Other meeting in BTSU 427 on Feb. 13 at 5 p.m.
    • Black Issues Conference in BTSU Ballroom on Feb. 15 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    • OMA Trivia Night on Feb. 22 in BTSU 427 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
    • Black Excellence Ball on in BTSU Multipurpose Room on Feb. 25 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., $10 pre entry and $15 at the door. 
    • Taste of February in BTSU Ballroom on Feb. 28 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.