The “Zamboni Guy” Luke Bodeis keeps his cool amidst campus fame

Claire Sant
Luke Bodeis takes the Zamboni for a spin to maintain the ice

A Bowling Green hockey star takes the ice for his second season…but not in the way you’d expect.

Luke Bodeis, formally known in the world of BGSU fans as the “Zamboni Guy,” has taken the Bleacher Creature student section by storm. 

Beginning his career at BGSU in August 2022, he has quickly climbed the popularity chart among hockey game attendees. 

Bodeis, associate director of facilities at Slater Family Ice Arena, works around the clock to make the ice game-ready, even though he’s known for his Zamboni skills.

The Bleacher Creatures gave Bodeis a warm welcome, conjuring up antics to crack a smile.

“It started off with funny messages on the whiteboard,” he said. “I would just start laughing at it.” 

As much as the student section loves to egg on Bodeis, he loves it more.

“To play into the crowd a little bit… to give them something else to cheer about. It’s just fun,” said Bodeis.

Student section shenanigans aren’t the only thing that keeps Bodeis entertained.

Bodeis said that BG ‘feels like a great place to be’ while dually working and raising a family with his wife, Jen.

He joked that his wife keeps him humble amidst his growing recognition around campus and at the Slater.

Spending lots of time on the ice growing up, Bodeis is no stranger to ice maintenance and Zamboni knowledge.

He started operating the Zamboni five years ago when staffing was low at his previous position, and he was well-versed in no time.

“I would probably say I learned [to operate] within two to three weeks,” said Bodeis, “It’s like driving a car that’s 10-years-old, you’re always listening for new noises.”

Learning and educating comes easy to Bodeis with his background as a high school teacher. A lesser known aspect of his job includes ‘student employment, pro shop, concessions and generally all facilities.’”

Bodeis works on employing BGSU students and teaching them the ropes of working with hockey equipment, which he said he enjoys given his former career.

Creating a good work environment and providing a good experience to game-goers is his top priority.

“Every experience counts for every person in the arena,” said Bodeis.

Bodeis carries passion and pride for his job, among all its responsibilities.

”I enjoy driving, but I didn’t think I’d love it.”

View Comments (1)
$825
$1500