Weilbacher leads the way as BGSU gymnastics picks up win against LIU

Jack Rintamaa
Weilbacher finishes her floor routine

Earlier today, BGSU gymnastics earned their fourth win of the season with their highest team score of the 2023-2024 season with 195.925 points, beating the Long Island University Sharks by just 0.05 of a point. Bowling Green now holds a 4-7 record on the season.  

Here’s how it happened.   

In the first rotation, Bowling Green opened on the vault, beating out LIU with a 48.800 score. Leading the Falcons was Kathyrn Weilbacher, who booked a 9.850 in the event.  

Moving to the next event, the Sharks gained a lead versus Bowling Green on the bars, with a 49.100-48.825 score. Following the trend of the first event, Weilbacher led the way with a 9.875, a new personal record (PR) for the junior; and following close behind was Isabella Rivelli with a 9.825.  

Next for Bowling Green, the Falcons earned their highest beam score of the year to earn an upper hand versus LIU. With a 49.175-48.975 lead, Megan Bingham led the way with a 9.875 score. To add to the lead, all six gymnasts also logged a 9.800 or better in the event.  

To close out the meet, Weilbacher set a PR on the floor with a 9.925, which is tied for the 9th best in program history, and helped to cement a Falcon victory. While LIU managed to outscore Bowling Green on the floor, their performances weren’t enough to top the Falcon’s running team score.  

Adding to the Falcons’ impressive performances, Weilbacher also won the all-around with a 39.500, another career high for Bowling Green’s most frequent all-arounder. This score is not only the third highest in program history, but also the third highest score in the Mid-American Conference this season.  

“What an exciting day for the Falcons! I have seen great potential in this team, and it was amazing to see all their hard work pay off on every event,” said head coach Kerrie Turner. “This gives us so much to build on for the remainder of the season.”  

From here, the Falcons will prepare to face Ohio State and Kent State in an All-Ohio Tri Meet on Friday, March 1. The Falcons will face the Buckeyes and Flashes in Columbus, with a 6:30 start time.