Falcon gymnastics falls short in Columbus against Buckeyes, Golden Flashes, Illini

Jack Rintamaa
The BGSU gymnastics team during the national anthem

Earlier this evening, Bowling Green gymnastics placed fourth in their All-Ohio meet at the hands of Ohio State, Kent State, and Illinois.  

Facing two Big Ten teams, each holding winning records for the season, Bowling Green was unable to add a win to their season record.  With a 194.275 team score, the Falcons failed to reach a 49 point event score for any of the events, setting them back by a full two points.  

Here’s how it happened.  

Starting on the floor, the Falcons scored a team total of 48.575. Keira Thornton led Bowling Green, scoring a 9.800 and tying for 13th.  

Moving to the vault, the Falcons performed slightly better, logging a 48.625 event score. Competition proved to be tight as the highest placing Falcon was Love Apkan who scored a 9.800 and tied for 12th place, along with six other gymnasts.  

Bowling Green, taking on the bars next, scored lower as a team than usual with a 48.150. Representing the Falcons was Isabella Rivelli, who tied for 13th in the event.  

For the final rotation, the Falcons took the the beam and had their best team performance of the evening with a 48.925. Leading the charge was Megan Bingham who tied for third in the event with a 9.850.  

From here, the Falcons will follow Illinois back home for a midday dual meet on Sunday, March 3rd, with a 3 p.m. EST start time. Bowling Green will close out the weekend facing Illinois for a second time, and then will see action later in the week versus Pittsburgh.