Falcons fall to Pitt by .600 of a point

Drake Harlett

Earlier tonight, Bowling Green gymnastics fell to the University of Pittsburgh Panthers on the road by a tight score of 195.800 to 195.225, one of their closest margins of the season. With only one more meet remaining until the Mid-American Conference championships, Bowling Green has moved to a 4-12 record on the season.  

Here’s how it happened.  

Getting started on the bars, the Falcons were able to secure the first place spot and compete closely with Pitt. Representing Bowling Green was veteran Isabella Rivelli, tying for first place with a 9.850, her best score since early February.  

Moving to the vault, the Falcons excelled and included multiple strong individual performances. Kathryn Weilbacher and Love Akpan led the way with their runs, placing first and second in the event respectively.  

Weilbacher, continuing to improve each week, logged a personal best 9.950 run to secure a win in the event. Following suit, Akpan had the strongest vault run of her career with a 9.900 score.  

Another Falcon who made great strides was Madison Corburn, who tied for third place and set a new personal record with a 9.875.  

For the third rotation, Bowling Green took to the floor and scored a 49.100 team total. Akpan and Weilbacher earned spots on the podium, each tying for third with a 9.875 score. Setting another PR, Akpan earned her highest mark on the floor with a 9.875 for her routine.  

Finishing up on the beam, Megan Bingham represented the Falcons earning second place with a 9.825 score. The second highest scorer for Bowling Green was Akpan, logging a 9.775 and placing fifth.  

Looking at the all-around performances, it’s not a surprise that Akpan and Weilbacher led the pack, placing second and third overall. In fact, Akpan set another career high in the event with a new score of 38.900.  

From here, Bowling Green moves one meet closer to the MAC championship held at the end of the month. Next on the schedule, the Falcons finish MAC play versus Kent State on Sunday, March 17 starting at 1 p.m.