Huskies send Falcons packing, advance to CCHA semifinals

Keira Ellenberger
Jaden Grant (28) in a scrum with Michigan Tech

There could not have been a more exciting game for Bowling Green hockey to end their season on, although it ended favoring the Michigan Tech Huskies 6-5. 

The Falcons took an early lead with goals by senior forwards Ethan Scardina and Spencer Kersten. After the end of the first period, BG headed into the second up 2-1, the moment where the game exploded. 

Michigan Tech came out firing, scoring two goals within the first 40 seconds on the second-period ice. BG responded eight minutes later with a goal by Brett Pfoh, then an additional filler by Ben Doran, taking the lead 4-3. 

In the last three minutes, MTU scored their third and fourth goals of the period, edging BG heading into the third period 5-4. 

For his second goal and third point of the game, Pfoh broke away for the game-tying fifth Falcon goal. The hope lasted until the 18:57 mark when a penalty by Tommy Pasanen finished early with a lead-taking and game-winning goal from Ryland Mosley. 

Five Huskies ended with two or more points. Isaac Gordon had the best day scoring one goal and assisting on two others. Mosley followed close behind with the game-winner and an additional second-period goal. 

While outstanding on Friday night, Blake Pietila left something to be desired on Saturday night. He allowed five goals in the MTU crease saving only 10 shots for a .66 save percentage. His lack of saves was due mainly to only 15 shots total by BG, however, the Falcons were amazingly efficient on their few chances. 

His counterpart, Christian Stoever, received the loss but played better. Stoever allowed six goals but saved 34 shots, and, like BG goalie Cole Moore Friday night, was some acrobatic plays away from a much larger goal disparity. 

BG’s offense took flight in their second game. After being shutout on Friday, they rebounded into a five-goal game with a two-goal one assist performance by Pfoh, and a one goal one assist performance by Scardina. 

The reason the orange and brown lost was clearly due to penalties. They received 12 minutes and six total penalties, four of which, including the game-winner, resulted in a Husky goal. The black and gold committed only two penalties. 

Michigan Tech awaits the winner of the Lake Superior State and St. Thomas series, which has gone to a tiebreaking game on Sunday at 5:07 p.m. EST., to determine their seeding and next-round opponent.

If St. Thomas wins, the Huskies will play the Tommies on the road, while if the Lakers win, they will stay in Houghton for a series against Minnesota State.