Weather cuts BGSU men’s golf’s weekend short in Georgia

BGSU Athletics

The Bowling Green State University men’s golf team competed at Western Carolina’s Peoples Championship in St. Simons Island, Georgia. 

BG finished 20th out of 22 teams, edging out Eastern Illinois and Morehead State. 

The three-day event was cut short on Saturday afternoon due to inclement weather, which resulted in the scorers table having to use the first two days for final results.  

Bowling Green posted a team score of 303 on Thursday and 299 on Friday, which put them at 602 overall in the tournament. 

Head coach John Powers had this to say about the effects of the weather on Saturday 

“The storms rolled through and wiped out the third round with about five holes left. It was a bummer because we were having a pretty good third round and moving up the board a bit. It was our best round of the event, but it won’t be reflected in the final scoring.” 

Sophomore Ethan Irvine led the way for the Falcons as he shot +4, which landed him a 46th-place finish (74-72-146). Behind him was Darin Hudak, who tied for 67th shooting +7 (76-73-149).

Posting a score of +11 and a 96th-place finish was senior Dylan Fitchet (76-77-153). Brandon Rattray shot a +13 which was good for a 104th place finish (78-77-155). Tied for 117th was Luke Evans who shot +17 (77-82-159). Rounding out the team was Thomas Bell with a +20 overall (85-77-162).  

“We had some solid stretches of golf but need to do a better job closing out our rounds. We are chipping away at it and expect to take another step forward at Mid Pines,” said Powers after the tournament. 

Bowling Green returns to action on Monday and Tuesday at the Ross Collegiate tournament in Southern Pines, N.C.