Softball’s losing streak extends to 11 with pair of Sunday losses

Jaydon Romero

The Bowling Green Falcons lost both games of a Sunday doubleheader at Northern Kentucky University, 13-4 in game one to Illinois State University and 8-0 to the Michigan Wolverines in game two. 

GAME ONE 

BG finally was able to get a game in after two days of rain cancellations. The first game against Illinois State did not go the Falcons way losing, 13-4 in seven innings. 

The Redbirds jumped out way ahead in front early in the game, scoring 10 runs in the first two innings of the game. ISU did this by stringing together hits, keeping the pressure on the Bowling Green pitching staff. 

Illinois State scored five runs in the first inning and five runs in the second inning to kick the game off and put the Falcons in a large deficit early. 

In the third, the Redbirds hit a single off the pitcher who came in relief, Scarlet Anderson, which scored a runner from third to go up 11-0. In the next at bat, Anderson took a line drive off the side of her pitching  hand and the right side of her head. Fortunately, Anderson exited the game and walked off the field under her own power and is okay. 

In the bottom of the third inning, the Falcons scored three runs to cut into the large Redbird lead. With runners on first and third, Katie Hutter stole second and then the throw from the catcher allowed Kaylee Cole to score and give the Falcons their first run.

With the runner on second, Lexi Carver singled to center to score Hutter and score the second run of the inning. The third and final run of the inning came from a Peyton Dolejs single that scored Carver to make it a 11-3 game.  

Reagan Williamson added another run for the Falcons in the bottom of the fourth inning when she hit a double that scored Peyton Steffes 

In the top of the seventh inning, the Redbirds put the Falcons away by scoring two more runs and securing the win.

GAME TWO 

The Falcons lost game two of the doubleheader 8-0 to the Michigan Wolverines in six innings.  

This game was a much better game defensively for the Falcons as they were in a close battle until the sixth inning. 

Emma Denison started the game on the mound for the Falcons and pitched into the sixth inning holding a 3-0 lead before things got away. 

In the top of the first inning, the Wolverines jumped out in front, scoring their first two runs of the ball game.  

The Wolverines would add one more run in the third inning to go up 3-0. 

In the sixth inning when things got away from the falcons, a few walks and some hits strung together by the Wolverines allowed for five runs to cross the plate and the Wolverines securing the 8-0 victory over the Falcons. 

The Falcons were unable to get a hit in the game.