Bulls split Saturday doubleheader with dominant 12-2 win over Falcons

Bowling Green, OH – Falcons BGSU Junior Pitcher Scarlet Anderson (34) pitching the ball with a strikeout in a loss 2 to 13 Buffalo at the Meserne Field, Bowling Green, OH

After securing their first win in nearly 15 games in the first of the two-game Saturday matchup with Buffalo, Bowling Green softball lost the second one as the Bulls bounced back and won the series by taking the rubber match between the Falcons and Bulls 13-2.

In the top of the first inning, the Bulls were able to load the bases with no outs against BG’s starting pitcher Scarlet Anderson. After being able to get one out, Tarantino Williams was hit by a pitch to score the game’s first run.  Anderson was able to escape the inning by just allowing one run. 

The Bulls kept the pressure on in the second inning by scoring another run via an Abbey Nagel single to go up 2-0. 

In the third inning, the Bulls offense exploded by scoring eight runs in the top of the inning to take a 10-0 lead.  Buffalo strung together hit after hit to keep the Falcon defense on the field. The Bulls capped off the eight run inning with a two run home run from Mia Mitchell to put the Falcons in a deep hole. 

In the bottom of the fourth inning, Wynnie Reid got the offense going for the Falcons by  slugging a leadoff triple into the gap in right center field. Reid then scored after Peyton Dolejs singled up the middle to score Reid and give the Falcons their first run of the game. 

Cameron Kaufman singled through the right side of the infield to put runners on first and second for the Falcons. Hannah Hunt then singled to right field scoring the Falcons second run of the inning. 

Marti Henkel then singled in the field to load the bases with two outs for the Falcons but two runs were all the Falcons were able to score. 

Buffalo did not stop the hitting, scoring two more runs in the top of the fourth inning. Alexis Lucyshyn and Madison Fernimen hit back-to-back RBI singles to put the Bulls up 12-2. 

In the top of the fifth inning, the Bulls added another run after a two-out RBI triple from Sara Kelly to make it a 13-2 game in favor of Buffalo.