BGSU tennis tops last season’s win total, defeats Oakland

Perrysburg, OH – BGSU singing the Alma Mater after their win over Oakland with excitement at Perrysburg Tennis Center in Perrysburg, Ohio

After a plethora of hard-fought matches at the Perrysburg Tennis Center, the Bowling Green State Falcons (7-6) defeated the Oakland Golden Grizzlies (4-7) by a score of 3-2. The win ended a two-game losing streak.  

The day started with a competitive doubles slate. The team of Lucy Furness and Hannah Neuman started strong but ended up falling by a score of 6-4.  

Ioanna Tsadari and Eloise Saraty found themselves in a match where neither team won back-to-back games until the end of the set. Finally, the seniors gained control and won on a powerful backhand from Saraty.  

For the singles slate, there were two fewer matches than usual due to the Golden Grizzlies having just four players available. The lineup for Bowling Green was led by Furness, followed by Tsadari, Neuman and freshman Tia Clemens 

Furness was evenly matched with the competition, as the No.1 could not create momentum to gain the lead. She would fall by a score of 4-6, 3-6.  

After an impressive outing against Buffalo, Tsadari earned the #2 singles spot against Oakland. Her match was the most thrilling, as the Greece native came back from a set down to win 6-7, 6-3, 3-2.  

Neuman, the #3 for the day, used her serves to keep pace in the match. Unfortunately, her unforced errors would lead to a 4-6, 3-6 defeat.  

Clemens made things look easy, winning 6-1, 6-0. The freshman was dominant in almost every rally, no matter the length.  

With the win, BGSU now has one more than the 2022-23 team with nine matches to go. The orange and brown will try to secure their first winning regular season since 2020.  

It will be all Mid-American Conference opponents from here on out, starting with a road trip to Kalamazoo to face Western Michigan on March 22 at 1 p.m.