Bowling Green soars past Xavier in 8-4 victory

Jack Rintamaa
Bowling Green, OH – Falcons sophomore designated hitter DJ Newman (28) celebrating with the dugout after his homerun at Steller Field in Bowling Green. Ohio

The Bowling Green Falcons won the final game in the three-game series against the Xavier Musketeers by a final score of 8-4.

BG, who now have a record of 12-10 (9-0 in Mid-American Conference play), snapped their two-game losing streak in Cincinnati with the win.

The team started with a bang, scoring four runs in the first inning. It all began when DJ Newman’s hit allowed Sam Seidel and Nathan Archer to take flight to home base.

The fourth run came on a home run from Jack Krause, who sent himself and Newman on a trip home.

From here, the Falcons came up dry offensively until the fourth inning, when Archer crossed home base for the second time on a bunt by Seidel.

Within the same inning, an error by the Musketeers during Leighton Banjoff’s tenure at-bat gave his teammate on third base, Archer, his second run of the game.

Xavier then scored their first set of runs in the same inning, tightening up the score 6-2. The Falcons retaliated in the top of the fifth, as Caden Parker hit an RBI, which allowed TJ Takats to set the score at 7-2.

Although the Musketeers hit a home run in the bottom of the sixth inning, the Falcons’ next turn at bat proved to be just as successful. An RBI by Archer allowed Cooper McKenzie to score his first run since March 9.

The Musketeers tried to use the seventh-inning to tie up the score, but fell short by only sending one player on a trip across the bases.

No scoring by either team in the eighth or ninth inning allowed the Falcons to fly away with an 8-4 win, bringing their win-loss record on the road to 9-10.

The team will look to improve their away record on Tuesday against Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan at 2:30 p.m.