12-0 versus conference foes- BGSU baseball sweeps three-games series with NIU

Jack Rintamaa
Bowling Green, OH – Falcons sophomore designated hitter DJ Newman (28) celebrating with the dugout after his homerun at Steller Field in Bowling Green. Ohio

For the first time in team history, Bowling Green baseball is 12-0 vs teams in the Mid-American Conference (MAC), their best conference start ever. 

BG set the record after a successful day against Northern Illinois, defeating the Huskies twice in one day, 9-3 and 11-1 in a Saturday afternoon doubleheader. 

Here’s how it went down. 

Game 1

BG started red hot with a leadoff home run from Nathan Archer, giving the Falcons a 1-0 lead in the top of the first. 

A Jack Krause sacrifice fly to center field got Sam Seidel back to home plate, BG now up 2-0 heading into the bottom of the first inning. 

The Huskies tied things up in the bottom of the first, with Northern Illinois scoring on a wild pitch, now 2-2 headed into the second inning. 

Back at the top of the batting order in the top of the second, Archer continued his red-hot day, with another home run, sending him and Garrett Wright back to home plate, the Falcons now up 4-2. 

At the top of the fourth, BG put even more pressure on their opponents, scoring two more runs to make the score 6-3.  

After nine innings of play, BG took game one of the doubleheader, winning 9-3 for their 11th straight MAC victory. 

Game 2

The second game of the doubleheader began with BG pitcher Landon Willeman striking out three straight Huskies batters to end the first inning. 

Into the second inning, Wright singled to left field, sending TJ Takats and Leighton BanJoff home for the first runs of the second game, putting BG up 2-0 against the Huskies. 

Sam Seidel singled to left field, sending Wright home, putting BG up 3-1 to end the top of the second inning. 

The third and fourth innings resulted in no runs for either team. 

Things didn’t stay silent for Bowling Green for long. 

The fifth inning began with an Archer double to start the order, then a groundout by DJ Newman that sent Archer across home plate to make the score 4-1. 

Later in the inning, a wild pitch sent Sam Seidel home, scoring the second run of the inning for BG. 

Bowling Green scored two more runs in the fifth inning, now up 8-1 against the Huskies. 

BG never slowed down, dominating the rest of the game handily against their MAC competition. 

The Falcons scored 11 runs to end the game early in the seventh inning, defeating the Huskies 11-1 for their 12th win in the MAC.  

BG now has four straight- MAC series wins for the first time in program history, the first time with four MAC sweeps in a season since 2020 and the first time sweeping a three-game series in DeKalb vs the Huskies. 

The orange and brown’s road trip will continue as they travel to Ohio State to take on the Buckeyes on April 9, at 6 p.m.