Resolution for committee restructuring passed, parking pass fee increase discussed at USG

Undergraduate Student Government passed a resolution at its Monday meeting restructuring the USG senate’s committee system.

Notably, the resolution will instate the transformation of the auxilary affairs committee into the undergraduate student affairs committee.

The legislation will also allow for the USG Speaker to form subcommittees underneath this new committe to reflect needs on campus as they happen semester to semester.

Senator Ebonee Johnson said at last week’s meeting that she feels this new system will add flexibility to the senate.

“It will allow us to be a lot more efficient,” she said.

For example, if the speaker feels that diversity is a particularly important topic one semester, they can form a diversity subcommittee to address it. These subcommittees will last for one semester.

It is assumed that the speaker will be advised by other members of USG as to what should be addressed for a given semester.

University Provost Rodney Rogers spoke to USG Monday, answering questions members had sent ahead of time and answering follow-up questions at the end of his time.

Regarding Ohio Senate Bill Four’s proposed tuition decrease across public institutions, Rogers said while the University will comply, “there’s many ways to achieve that other than a tuition increase.”

Answering a question about enrollment by college, Rogers said Adolescent and Young Adult Education, Sports Management, Music Education, Fine Arts and Journalism are seeing sharp decreases in attendance.

Communications, Computer Science, Political Science, Food and Nutrition and Social Work are all seeing spikes in enrollment.

Rogers said some of these degrees, such as sports management, are intentionally having their enrollment curbed.

“Sport management had become large,” he said. “We didn’t quite have the number of faculty we needed.”

Rogers addressed the college credit plus program, a new dual-credit program in Ohio allowing high school students to take college classes that count both toward their high school and college careers.

He said the University is currently working with 10 to 15 schools in the area within the context of this program.

Chief of Staff Danielle Parker in her report said parking services is looking to increase the cost of an annual parking pass one of two ways.

Either 15 dollars next year and another 15 five years from now, or 30 dollars next year without another increase for a decade.

This increase, Parker said, is due to the hightened cost that comes with parking services now handling infrastructure upkeep on campus. A 2 million dollar loan was taken out by parking services to pay for road maintenance this summer.

Additionally, a “revamping” of lot 12 is expected in 10 years.

In response to a request by parking services, an informal vote was held for which option members of USG preferred.

Fifteen favored an immediate 30-dollar increase, while 12 favored a 15-dollar increase every five years.

While the latter might be more appealing to students, Auxilary Affairs Chair Aeden Timbrook said the 30- dollar increase “is more fair to the students in the long run.”

Senator Mackenzie Mullins reported a recent meeting with Assistant Vice President for Capital Planning Robery Waddle about the addition of gender-neutral bathrooms to future building plans.

“We think we’ve backed them into a corner where they have to take a definite stand on this,” Mullins said.