Dining sources sustainable tuna

University dining services has added another item to its list of environmentally-friendly practices: usage of sustainably

caught tuna.

Previously, tuna used by dining services was generally caught by fish aggregating devices, or FADs. These devices consist of weighted buoys meant to attract fish to one centralized place, making them easier to net by fishermen.

However, while FADs are an efficient way to catch tuna, they also result in a large amount of bycatch. By-catch refers to marine life not meant to be caught, such as dolphins, sea turtles or sharks.

This by-catch is often dead by the time it reaches the boat, according to Greenpeace.

“With that by-catch … they would just throw it back in the ocean, or they would [kill] the sharks,” said University Environmental Action Group [EAG] President, Jessica Echales. “This way, there are other sustainable methods.”

Echales led EAG in an awareness campaign last semester regarding FAD-free tuna fishing. The organization worked with University dining services throughout.

According to the Secretariat of the Pacific Community, a multinational organization aimed at the development of islands in the Pacific, as much as 182,500 tons of by-catch is caught annually worldwide. This is enough to fill 1 billion cans of tuna.

This destruction of wildlife was a driving force behind EAG’s campaign. Focusing on tuna was a goal that was achievable, and one that would still prove meaningful by the end.

“We want [these animals] to be there for future generations,” Echales said. “We grew up with them, we want our kids to be able to have the same.”

Compass Group, the parent company of University dining services provider Chartwells, published a press release announcing a commitment to sustainably-sourced tuna starting January 1, 2015.

University Director of Dining Services Michael Paulus said EAG approached him after they heard of Compass Group’s announcement. EAG had already been planning a campaign for sustainable tuna on campus, but shifted to a primarily awareness-based campaign after the announcement.

“We’re one of the largest food service companies in the world, and we realize that we have a responsibility to our partners, to our customers to really take a look at our purchasing practices,” said Paulus.

There may be collaboration between EAG and dining services in the future, as both expressed interest in the promotion and implementation of composing programs and awareness campaigns for other environmental issues.

Regardless of what they end up doing, Echales said there is interest from both sides in terms of future collaboration.

“I think we build a very strong, stable relationship,” Echales said. “[Paulus] was very understanding.”