Swim and dive team wins, remain undefeated

The Bowling Green Swim and Dive team continued to make a statement in the pool over a two-day weekend meet.

Going up against Michigan State, Marshall and Toledo, the Falcons remained undefeated in dual meets for the year, moving to 7-0 overall.

Friday night, the women went up against the Spartans and the Thundering Herd. Taking 10 out of 16 events, Bowling Green went on to defeat Michigan State 175-125 and Marshall 181-119.

Sophomore Victoria Griffin grabbed wins in three events, the 50, 100 and 200 freestyle.

Daniela Carrillo and newcomer Franziska Wohlert each won two events.

“This weekend was good practice for conference week and we definitely saw a couple of different things from different people and a lot of good stuff,” head coach Petra Martin said. “But also some of our women have to step it up a bit on the second day.”

The racing went late Friday night and started early Saturday morning, something head coach Petra Martin planned in preparation for Mid-American Conference Championships in a few weeks.

The women continued swimming against Marshall, but added Toledo to the mix. Despite the exhaustion some athletes felt, Saturday was no different than Friday, where the Falcons beat the Rockets by a score of 185-115 and took down Marshall 171-129.

Estela Davis lead the team with three individual wins, while Kristin Filby, Carrillo and Wohlert each recorded one win apiece.

Filby had a close finish for first in the 100 breaststroke, touching the wall just .02 seconds before Toledo swimmer Sammy Richart.

“I knew it was just going to be the finish, we were stroke for stroke. From practices Petra [Martin] is always yelling at us to go through the wall, so that’s what I thought,” Filby said. “This is it, this is the time, so that’s what I did and it worked.”

Griffin added to the victories with two in the 50 and 100 freestyle. Unlike the previous day, the 200 free did not go as Griffin hoped, as she hit the wall for a ninth place finish.

“I felt good before my race just sitting up there and I got in and felt okay for the first 25 [yards] and kind of freaked myself out, which is something I’ve been trying to work on with Petra [Martin] all season,” Griffin said.

But one race did not keep Griffin down as she lead the team with five individual weekend wins. With the effort, she was named MAC Co-Swimmer of the Week.

There were a few close races Saturday, but the women held a lead over Marshall and Toledo for the majority of the meet. With MACs right around the corner, Martin said there is always something to work on.

“You can be looking like a million bucks three weeks before the meet and then you get to the meet and something happens,” Martin said. “We’re taking things one day at a time, learning from opportunities like this where we can do better and that’s how we’re going to keep it.”

Even though some were close, Kristin Filby said she was happy to be back in the water racing after more than a one-month break from meets.

“It feels good. It’s kind of nerve-racking getting back into race mode and thinking about strategies and whatnot, but after it’s all over with it went really well, and that’s exciting,” Filby said.

Griffin also said the home crowd helps the team in those tough races where exhaustion is present and finishes are close.

“I love racing here, it’s just a good atmosphere and everyone is always so positive,” Griffin said. “It just makes all of us feel good to know we have all of those people up there watching and ready to see us do something special in the water.”

Next weekend the Falcons wrap up the home action taking on defending MAC champion Akron. The meet will start at 5 p.m. at Cooper Pool.