E-cigarettes receive mixed reviews

For smokers across America, there is now an alternative to the traditional cigarettes sold in packs of 20. The electronic cigarette, also known as an e-cigarette, is a stainless steel tube filled with liquid nicotine and powered by a battery. Users puff on them like regular cigarettes, but instead of smoke, the e-cigarette produces a fine, heated mist that absorbs into the lungs. For Bowling Green Graduate Nick Wray, the e-cigarette gives him his shot of nicotine without getting the negative side-effects from tobacco. He started smoking electronic cigarettes two days before the tax increase on regular tobacco in March. But while many e-cigarette users love the new opportunities the smokes provide, The World Health Organization, which is a United Nations organization dealing with public health, said they do not think the e-cigarette is a proven nicotine replacement therapy. ‘[The World Health Organization] has no scientific evidence to confirm the product’s safety and efficacy,’ they said in a press release. Also, the Food and Drug Administration is investigating electronic cigarettes. They have already banned e-cigarettes, e-cigars and e-pipes from crossing the border because they consider these products new drugs which need their approval. FDA Spokeswoman Rita Chappelle told the National Public Radio their agency is concerned about the potential for addiction and abuse when it comes to electronic tobacco sources. ‘Some people may perceive these products to be safer alternatives,’ Chappelle said. However, Wray does not agree because he said he only sees the benefits from smoking liquid nicotine. According to him, he got his smell back after two weeks of smoking electronically, and was less exhausted. He said he could also smoke with his girlfriend around since e-cigaretts produce no secondhand smoke. ‘There are some limitations,’ Wray said. ‘You always need to make sure the battery is charged, but smoking electronically saves me a lot of money.’ Before Wray started smoking liquid nicotine, a pack a day was his normal habit. The average price for a pack today is around $5, and he would spend around $70 for two weeks of smoking. For a 10 mL cartridge of liquid nicotine, Wray pays around $10, and the cartridge generally lasts him two weeks. But besides the liquid nicotine, users also need to have an e-smoking starter kit. According to Wray the average price is between $50 to $70. ‘Do not get them for 180 dollars,’ he said. ‘Make sure you do your homework on the Internet, read and review before buying one.”