17th Annual Art Walk showcases regional, student artists downtown

The 17th Annual Art Walk was held last Saturday between noon and 5 p.m. in downtown Bowling Green and was organized by Downtown Bowling Green. According to the Web site of Downtown Bowling Green, the organization tries to improve the local economy with improvement projects and promotional activities, including the Art Walk. ‘With this event, we try to go get people downtown and let those people think, enjoy and perform art,’ said Barbara Ruland, the executive director of Downtown Bowling Green. ‘The artists are kids to professors, and amateurs to professionals.’ Ruland also said the Art Walk serves to raise awareness. College students frequently say there is nothing to do in the city besides bars. With this activity, the organization can show there’s more to do, Ruland said. During the walk, artists from all over the region show their work. This year, students from the University were also involved. The Performing Dancers from the School of Human Movement, Sport, and Leisure Studies performed short movement pieces, according to an Art Walk flyer. The group, comprised of seven female dancers and one male dancer, moved in slow motion in the two windows of Shirts, Signs ‘amp; Design/Underground Downtown. They wore jumpsuits with paint splashes. At the beginning their movements looked like old Greek sporting statues imitating swimmers, discus throwers and athletes. During the show, their movements changed to monkeys in a cage, and at the end, they moved as people in zero gravity. Gretchen Avery was with her Girl Scout group doing a scavenger hunt. The girls found the performing dancers really cool, and they also went to a glass blower. BG Reel Productions was also involved with the Art Walk. This student organization, which started this year, makes movies. On the BG Reel Production’s Web site, students can watch all of the short movies the group has made, including ‘The Black Rose,’ which is about six men who seek their fortune in a game of Russian roulette. ‘We make videos the students want to make,’ said Steven Grunwell, the vice president of the group. ‘The Art Walk gives our group the opportunity to show the community what we do.’