Falcons fight Duquesne to 2-2 draw on the road

Drake Harlett

BGSU Men’s Soccer (1-1-1) traveled to Pittsburgh to take on Duquesne (1-1-1) Thursday night, fighting the Dukes to a 2-2 draw in their third match of the young 2023 season.

The Falcons opened up the scoring in the first half, as senior defender Kyle Cusimano headed home a ball from Alberto Anaya off a corner kick. The two captains combined to give BG a lead in the 18’.

The Dukes would respond quickly, with a long ball over the top that found forward Jaydon Da, who curled a right-footed shot into the back of the net in the 22’ to tie the game 1-1.

Junior defender Rodrigo Silva would put the Falcons back in front with his first career goal for the Orange and Brown, as he put away a rebound off an Anaya freekick, making it 2-1 BG in the 27’.

Duquesne would answer again just before halftime as forward Zach Mowka struck the equalizer for the Dukes in the 43’, once again tying the game at 2-2.

The Falcons received a red card for their second straight game. This time, 5th-year Nathan Masters was sent off in the 78’, leaving BG to play with 10 in the remaining 12 minutes of the match.

Senior goal-keeper Brendan Graves had a career-high 10 saves for the Falcons, the highest save total by a BG keeper since 2018. Graves was key in helping the Falcons defend a flurry of chances from the Dukes late in the second half, as BG secured a point on the road.

BGSU will return home to Cochrane Stadium for their first of a three-game homestand, starting with a Labor Day matchup against the Michigan Wolverines, on Monday, Sept. 4. Kick-off is set for 3 p.m. Catch the action on the WBGU-PBS Youtube Channel.

For more information related to the team, follow us on X at @bg_fmsn.