Falcons start homestand with Labor Day win over Michigan

Drake Harlett

The Falcons handed the Wolverines their first loss of the season on a hot and humid Labor Day afternoon at Cochrane Stadium.

BG came out of the gates firing, with fifth-year forward Eli Shope and sophomore forward Trace Terry finding multiple scoring opportunities early on in the match, but were not able to find the back of the net.

Senior defender Kyle Cusimano would put the Falcons on the board first with a diving header in the 27’ off a perfectly placed freekick from junior midfielder Alberto Anaya.

The Orange and Brown would go into the locker room up 1-0 on Michigan, outshooting the Wolverines 7-1 in the first half.

The Maize and Blue would find the equalizer in the 52’, as a long ball from junior goalie Hayden Evans found junior forward Michael Leon to make it 1-1.

In the 67’, Terry sent a ball through to Shope, who sliced the ball into the bottom left corner of the net, scoring the go-ahead goal for the Falcons.

The Wolverines out-shot the Falcons 13-3 in the second half, but BG was able to hold off Michigan’s front line to preserve their second win of the season.

Next up, BG will continue their homestand with a matchup against the DePaul Blue Demons on Friday, Sept. 4. The Falcons will honor the godfather of the BGSU Men’s Soccer Program, Micky Cochrane with a pre-game tailgate at 5:30. 

Kick-off is set for 7 p.m. Catch the action on WBGU-PBS’ YouTube channel.

For more information about the team, follow Falcon Media Sports Network (FMSN) on X (@bg_fmsn).