Falcon Fall 3-0 to Wright State in I-75 Cup Matchup

Keira Ellenberger

The short-handed Falcons took on the Wright State Raiders on Tuesday night in the battle of the I-75 Cup, looking for their first road win of the season.

The Falcons were without starting defenders Kyle Cusimano and Josh Erlandson. Along with sophomore center-back Amer Dedic. Junior Alberto Anaya also missed out due to injury, and fifth-year forward Eli Shope did not dress for the match.

Freshman forward Bennett Painter, who made his first collegiate start, blasted a shot just 12 seconds into the match that was blocked. This would be BG’s only shot registered in the first half.

The Raiders would have four shots in the first 45’, with three shots on goal. 

Both teams went into the locker room scoreless, looking to find the opening goal of the match.

Nothing could separate the two sides until midfielder Henry Hutchinson put the Raiders in front in the 79’ with a shot that found the bottom right corner to put Wright Side up 1-0.

The Raiders would add a second, with forward Felix Ezekwuka finding the back of the net in the 87’.

Wright State would score again, this time from the penalty spot after a foul committed by junior midfielder Taylor Dyson. Forward Cole Werthmuller would convert from the spot in the 89’ making it 3-0 Raiders.

The Orange and Brown were outshot 14-5 on the night, the Raiders with nine on target, and BG with only one shot on goal from sophomore midfielder Andrew Shaffer.

Next up, the Falcons return to Cochrane Stadium for their second Missouri Valley Conference match of the season against the Bradley Braves on Saturday, September 23. Kick-off for the game is set for 7 p.m.

For more information related to the team, follow us on X at @bg_fmsn.