Falcons shutout again, fall 1-0 to Maryland

Jack Walsh

The Orange and Brown continued their travels on Saturday night, taking on Big Ten’s Maryland, still looking for their first road victory in 2023.

Sophomore forward Trace Terry thought he scored the opening goal for the Falcons, but was ruled offside in the 16’.

The Terrapins would open the scoring through forward Stefan Copetti in the 38’ off a breakaway. Which would end up being the game-winning goal.

The Falcons would go into halftime down 1-0, despite a late penalty-kick shout from BG towards the end of the first half.

Bowling Green would find chances in the second half, with the closes being senior midfielder Kyle Blasingame, whose header was saved by Terrapin goal-keeper Jamie Lowell in the 66’.

Junior midfielder Alberto Anaya nearly found the equalizer for the Falcons in the 80’, but his shot was just wide.

Maryland would hold onto their one-goal lead, securing the victory and giving the Falcons their fourth loss of the season.

BG were outshot on the night, 8-7 in favor of Maryland, and 6-3 on target.

This was the fifth time the Falcons have been shut out on the road this season, now have a (0-4-2) away record.

Senior keeper’ Brendan Graves recorded 5 saves on the night, bringing his total to 63 saves on the season.

Cusimano made his first start since returning from injury, playing the full 90 minutes.

The Falcons will return to Missouri Valley Conference play and finish off their three-game road trip to Nashville to take on the Belmont Bruins on Saturday, October 14th. Kick-off is set for 7 p.m.

For more information related to the team, follow us on X at @bg_fmsn.