BGSU MBB vs Hampton preview

Drake Harlett
Trey Thomas looking for the play to happen

The Bowling Green men’s basketball team, currently riding a season-best five-game winning streak, is continuing their five-game homestand by facing off against the Hampton Pirates on Tuesday, December 19, with tip-off slated for 11 a.m.  

The Falcons would tie Ball State for first place in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) with a win.  

Matchup History  

The matchup on Tuesday will mark the third meeting all-time between the two teams.  

The Falcons have won both of their previous matchups against Hampton, most recently defeating the Pirates in Hampton, Virginia, last season, 86-72.  

Scouting Hampton  

Hampton enters the contest against the Falcons with a 4-6 record this season.  

The Pirates have won two of their last three games. They defeated Virginia University of Lynchburg, 121-66, and Mary Baldwin, 100-53, before falling to #20 James Madison, who they led at halftime.  

Hampton is among the best statistical offenses in the Colonial Athletic Association Conference (CAA).  

The Pirates rank third in the CAA with 83.1 points scored per game and fourth in the conference with a 47.8% field goal percentage. HU also shoots 34.2% from beyond the arc and 72.6% from the charity stripe.  

Hampton’s defense has also been solid this season.  

While they allow 75.6 points per game, third most in the CAA, the Pirates hold their opponents to just 28.1% on three-pointers, second best in the conference, and 41.1% from the field, fourth best in the conference.  

Although they do not block many shots, just 2.7 per game, the Pirates average 7.8 steals, second-most in the CAA.  

The Pirates have also been a good rebounding team this season. Hampton ranks third in the CAA with 39.9 rebounds per game and second in the conference with 28.1 boards per game.  

The Pirates are outrebounding opponents by 5.5 boards per game this season, ranking fourth in the CAA.  

Hampton’s most glaring weakness may be their ball security.   

Through 10 games, HU has the most turnovers by any team in the CAA, giving the ball away 15 times per game.  

Scouting Bowling Green  

Bowling Green enters the contest against the Pirates with a 7-3 record this season, tied with Akron and Kent State for second place in the MAC.  

BG has won five straight games, the longest active winning streak in the MAC.  

Throughout their winning streak, which started two days after Thanksgiving, the Falcons have defeated LipscombCanisiusSouthern IndianaOhio Dominican and Kansas City.  

BG’s biggest strength this season has been their lockdown defense. 

The Falcons allow the lowest opponent field goal percentage in the conference (40.1%), the second-fewest opponent points per game (65.8) and the third-lowest opponent three-point percentage (32.4%).  

Bowling Green has allowed over 70 points in a game just five times this season and over 80 points just twice. The Falcons have also held five of their last six opponents under 40% shooting from the field.  

Throughout their five-game winning streak, BG’s dominant defense has held opponents to just 60.8 points per game, 37.6% shooting from the field and 29.1% from beyond the arc.   

While BGSU’s defense has been one of the best in the MAC, their offensive statistics rank middle of the pack in the conference.  

The Falcons score 73.4 points per game on 44.1% shooting from the field and 29.8% from three-point range.  

While their shooting has recently gotten better and more consistent, BG’s three-point shooting still ranks second to last in the conference.  

Like their defense, Bowling Green’s rebounding has been arguably the best in the MAC.  

The Falcons lead the conference with 39.3 rebounds and 29.0 offensive boards per game. 

The Orange and Brown are also one of the best teams in the conference in terms of ball security. The Falcons commit just 11.5 turnovers per contest, the second-fewest in the MAC.  

Falcon Four Players to Watch  

Rashaun Agee (Bowling Green #12)  

The senior forward is just three points away from joining the 1,000-point club.  

The Chicago, Illinois, native ranks third in the MAC with 33 offensive rebounds, fourth with 7.6 rebounds per game, and fifth with a 60.0% field goal percentage.  

Agee led the Falcons with 14 points and eight rebounds the last time Bowling Green battled Hampton.  

Marcus Hill (Bowling Green #0)  

The junior guard continues to display his elite scoring ability every game.  

Hill tallied 23 points in the first half alone in BG’s most recent game against Kansas City, finishing with a team-high 29.  

The Rockford, Illinois, native is the only player in the MAC who has scored 29 points in a game three times this season.   

Hill ranks second in the MAC with 20.3 points per game and has led the Falcons in scoring in seven of their 10 games this season.  

Kyrese Mullen (Hampton #3)  

Mullen, a 6-foot-7, 230-pound sophomore forward, is a double-double machine. He has registered a double-double in three straight contests and six of his nine games this season.  

The Norfolk, Virginia, native ranks second in the CAA with 9.1 rebounds per game, third in the conference with 28 offensive rebounds, and fourth with a 52.0% field goal percentage.  

Mullen also leads Hampton with 54 defensive rebounds and ranks second on the team with 15.3 points per game.   

Jerry Deng (Hampton #15)  

The freshman forward has been on fire over the past three games.  

Deng scored 19 points in 25 minutes against Virginia Lynchburg, a team-leading and season-high 37 points in 25 minutes against Mary Baldwin, and a team-leading 18 points in 24 minutes in their most recent game against James Madison.  

Although the Norcross, Georgia, native has played just 24.7 minutes per game over the last three contests, Deng has averaged 24.7 points per game, shooting a blistering 74.4% (29-39) from the field and 77.0% (10-13) from three-point range.

For more information related to the team, follow us on X at @bg_fmsn.