BGSU softball snaps losing streaks, wins 5-4 in game one of Saturday doubleheader

Bowling Green, OH – Falcons BGSU Player advances for 3 base and is safe in a win 5 to 4 Buffalo at the Meserne Field, Bowling Green, OH

Bowling Green softball snapped a 14-game losing streak by winning the first game of a Saturday home doubleheader 5-4 against the Buffalo Bulls. 

RECAP 

Emma Denison started the game on the mound for the Falcons and kept the Bulls off the board in the first inning, however after a single and walk in the top of the second inning, she would be removed from the game with elbow tightness. Mackenzie Krafcik entered the game for the injured Denison. 

Krafcik entered the game in relief for the Falcons and escaped a bases loaded jam in the second to keep the score at 0-0. 

In the bottom of the second inning the Falcons bats came to life. Hannah Hunt reached first base on an error, which then Cameron Kaufman lined a single up the middle to put runners on second with no outs.

Lexi Carver laid down a sacrifice bunt to move the runners over. Later in the inning with two outs, Marti Henkel ropeda two-run RBI double off the wall in right field to score the game’s first two runs. The next better Wynnie Reid hit a double of her own to score Henkel from second and give the Falcons a 3-0 lead. 

The Falcon bats continued to stay hot in the bottom of the third inning after a lead off double from Peyton Dolejs would instantly put a runner in scoring position for the Falcons. Reagan Williamson would then single to right field in the next at bat, scoring Dolejs from second and growing the Falcons lead to 4-0.

Delaney Davis entered the game for Williamson And stole second to put a runner in scoring position still with no outs. The next batter, Hunt, hit a ground ball which advanced Davis to third. Kaufman then singled for the second time of the game, scoring Davis giving the Falcons a 5-0 lead.   

In the top of the fifth inning, the Bulls began to fight back. Buffalo would get back-to-back singles to put the first two runners on in the inning, then a RBI double from Madison Fernimen put the first Bulls run on the board and runners on second and third. The next batter, Abby Nagel hit a sac-fly out to right field to score another Bulls run.

Then with a runner on third, a ground ball from Alexis Lucyshyn scored Fernimen to cut down the Falcon lead. With two outs and no runners on, Mia Mitchell hit a solo homerun to center fielder to cap off a four run inning for Buffalo.

After the solo homerun, Taylor Turner entered the game from the bullpen for the Falcons in relief for Krafcik. 

Turner pitched two and a third scoreless innings to record the save and secure the 5-4 win over the Bulls snapping the Falcons 14-game losing streak, winning their first MAC game of the season.  

However, things changed in the second game..