Falcons cruise to 7-1 victory against Eastern Michigan earning a share of the MAC regular season title

BGSU Baseball clinches a share of the MAC title
Drake Harlett

Bowling Green baseball (28-18, 20-6 MAC) earned redemption Saturday, following a 10-9 loss to Eastern Michigan on Friday May 10th holding the Eastern Michigan Eagles (14-33, 9-17 MAC) to just a solo fourth inning run for a huge victory in Ypsilanti. The win marks the first time the Falcons have won the Mid-American Conference (MAC) regular season title since 2009.

At the moment, the Falcons hold a tie with Western Michigan for the regular season title, however, all the Orange and Brown would need for an outright win is to end their weekend series on Sunday against Eastern on a win.

Both offenses stalled to open the contest with each team breaking the drought in the fourth inning, scoring a run each. Despite the even start BG smashed open the fifth inning when junior centerfielder Nathan Archer smashed a ball to right field, earning himself a single while also allowing two falcons to cross home plate. Archer would be brought home later in the inning when a ball was grounded to the shortstop. 

The offensive push for BG would continue as senior infielder Landon Roque would poke a single through right field, giving the Orange and Brown two more runs.

Pitching for BGSU was a strong point as the Falcon bullpen only rotated through two players, starting junior right-hander Landon Willeman, who was credited with the win after facing 24 batters and earning two strikeouts with one run.

The lone Falcon out of the bullpen, sophomore righty Kade Arn put up a strong effort, pitching four total innings allowing one hit and holding the Eagles scoreless off a walk and three strikeouts.

BGSU will look to close out their series on a high note with a win on Sunday, March 12th in Ypsilanti against the Eastern Michigan Eagles, which would earn them a total win over the MAC for the regular season.