BG Hockey takes down Ohio State 4 to 3 Tuesday night.

Steven W. Echard

Dan Desalvo breaks away from Ohio State defenders during the second period of their 4-3 win Tuesday.

The BG hockey team took the ice against the Ohio State University Buckeyes for its regular season home opener and came back to win 4-3 after starting the game losing 3-0.

The Falcons started off the first period well, but goaltender Tommy Burke gave up the first goal of the night on a power play to Ohio State right winger Nick Schilkey, 17:19 into the first period. Schilkey’s goal was assisted by right winger Anthony Greco.

“We were on a penalty kill,” Burke said. “So I was trying to do less I could to kill the penalty and move the puck up the ice. It was a really unfortunate goal and our guys were playing really well. It was real unfortunate especially mentally on my part.”

After starting the second period on the losing end, BG came out looking for a morale boost to the game. However, Burke would give up two more goals to the Buckeyes, putting the Falcons down 3-0.

“We felt like we were playing better than the score indicated,” head coach Chris Bergeron said. “Then we come out and give up two goals in the second period to now be down 3-0 and we still think we’re playing better than the score indicates.”

Just as the game seemed to have been getting away from the Falcons, the tide turned thanks to an unassisted goal by right winger Bryce Williamson with less than 12 minutes into the second period.

Williamson’s goal began the Falcons shift in momentum that would carry through the remaining time in the second period.

Nearly six minutes later, right winger Ben Murphy scored the second goal for the Falcons by means of Williamson and defender Ralfs Freibergs.

The Falcons went to the locker room after the second period down 3-2 but they had a snowball effect going as they took the ice in the third period.

BG tied the game up in the first three minutes of the third period. This time it was by the stick of defender Connor Kucera, who was assisted by center Dan DeSalvo.

Before the Buckeyes could regroup following the Falcons’ third straight goal, Ohio State defender Al McLean was booked for tripping 14 seconds later and Murphy scored his second power play goal of the game and Freibergs recorded his second assist of the game.

Following the Falcons’ fourth goal, BG held Ohio State scoreless and left with its first regular season win of the season.

“Our leadership did a great job,” Bergeron said. “They were challenged a little bit after Saturday [against Union College] and they stepped up and played well today.”

The Falcons won their first game in front of a crowd of 2,752 and Bergeron thanked the student section for its support.

“I really appreciated the student section for its support,” Bergeron said. “The student section, the Bleacher Creatures, the Falcon Fanatics are doing a real good job at getting the atmosphere in this building. Thank you on behalf of the whole program.”

The Falcons take the ice at the BGSU Ice Arena again this weekend when they host the Colgate University Raiders on Friday and Saturday. Both games begin at 7:07 p.m.