BG looks to remain undefeated at home following win

BG+Football
BG Football

The BG football team will host Mid-American Conference opponent the University of Akron Zips Saturday, following its 49-7 victory against FCS opponent, Murray State University.

The 3-1 Falcons are coming off a big win against Murray State, following their 42-10 loss against the Indiana University Hoosiers in the third week of the season.

BG is one-third of the way through its 2013 campaign and its 3-1 record marks the fourth time it has done so in the past decade. The last time BG started its season 3-1 was in 2011, when it defeated the University of Idaho, Morgan State University and the Miami University, but lost to the University of Wyoming.

Despite not making the postseason in 2011, the Falcons reached 3-1 at the one-third mark both 2007 and 2003.

In 2007, the Falcons defeated the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers, the Temple University Owls and the Western Kentucky University Hilltoppers, but were defeated by the Michigan State University Spartans.

In 2003, BG defeated Eastern Kentucky University, No. 13 ranked Purdue University and Liberty University before being defeated by the defending national champions, No. 6 ranked Ohio State University.

Of these three times the Falcons have gone 3-1 in the first four games, they have gone on to bowl games, with the only exception being 2011. They defeated Northwestern University in 2003 and lost to the University of Tulsa in 2007.

Despite the early success, head coach Dave Clawson keeps the team focus on the opponent at hand, and this week it is the Akron Zips.

“Every one of these games is a championship game,” Clawson said. “You never know at the end of the year which one, you could lose one and be out of it.”

BG is ahead of the pack in the MAC-East with a 1-0 division record after its 41-22 win at Kent State University in Week 2. There have been no other MAC-East matchups since then.

“I think Akron is an improving program,” Clawson said. “If you watch them on film, they have had skill. Last year they were close in a lot of games, but late games last year they would wear down a little bit.”

In the past four years, Akron has had 10 games lost by seven points or less, including the 28-24 near-upset against the No. 11 ranked University of Michigan Wolverines two weeks ago, and last week’s 35-30 loss against the University of Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns.

The Zips went 1-11 in 2012, 2011 and 2010 with their wins coming against Morgan State, the Virginia Military Institute and the University of Buffalo, respectively.

BG defeated Akron 24-10 on the road this past season, and boasts a 4-2 record against the Zips since 2003. The Falcons have not lost to the Zips since 2006.

“They’re a much more experienced group than they were a year ago,” defensive end Zach Colvin said. “They’re a much improved team and they’re headed in the right direction right now.”

Two weeks ago, Akron had the chance to beat Michigan with the ball inside the Wolverine’s 5-yard line with mere seconds left, but was unable to convert a touchdown on the final play of the game.

“It shows that they definitely have the ability to play,” Colvin said. “They went head-to-head with Michigan the whole time and it was no fluke that they were in the game.”

The Falcons continue their three-game homestand against the University of Akron Zips at 2:30 Satuday at Doyt Perry Stadium.

Follow BG News Sports on Facebook and Twitter for live updates from the game and other BG sports events.