Bowling Green visits Lake Superior State for a chance at home-ice in quarterfinals

BGSU-Lakers+Graphic
BGSU-Lakers Graphic

The Bowling Green State Falcons will end their season with a road series in Taffy Abel Arena to face the Lake Superior State Lakers. In the first series, the Falcons dominated the Lakers by the scores of 5-1 and 6-2. The stakes are much higher this time around, however, as the winner of this series will host their respective CCHA quarterfinal game next weekend. The Falcons and the Lakers come into the series tied at 33 points apiece in the conference.

For Bowling Green, they are looking to bounce back from a winless series against Northern Michigan last weekend. On Friday, the Falcons would fall 6-3, as six different players would score goals for the Wildcats. On Saturday, Northern Michigan prevailed 4-2, despite the Falcons outshooting the Wildcats 36-20.

“As you know, in sport it always doesn’t turn out the way it looks,” Bowling Green Head Coach Ty Eigner said about Saturday’s game on the WBGU-FM Morning Show. “The analytics of that game and the stat sheet and just the general observation of being there says that we probably deserved a different result based on what we did.”

For Lake Superior State, they will attempt to find consistency going into the playoffs. With a shutout win against top-ranked Minnesota State and a loss to three-win St. Thomas, it is hard to predict which Lakers team will show up each weekend. Eigner says that the Falcons’ mindset will be the same either way.

“You got to go into it believing that they’re gonna play their best hockey of the year. They got the same goals as we do so we’re gonna have to be ready.” 

Eigner says that Ethan Scardina is in concussion protocols and is unlikely to play in the series, while Austen Swankler has practiced and is questionable for Friday.