• They Both Die at the End ā€“ General Review
    Summer break is the perfect opportunity to get back into reading. Adam Silveraā€™s (2017) novel, They Both Die at the End, can serve as a stepping stone into the realm of reading. The pace is fast, action-packed, and develops loveable characters. Also,Ā Silvera switches point of view each chapter where narration mainly focuses on the protagonists, […]
  • My Favorite Book ā€“ Freshwater
    If thereā€™s one book that I believe everyone should read once in their life, itā€™s my favorite book ā€“ Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi. From my course, Queer Literature under Dr. Bill Albertini, I discovered Emeziā€™s Freshwater (2018). Once more, my course, Creative Writing Thesis Workshop under Professor Amorak Huey, was instructed to present our favorite […]

Delta Sigma Theta sorority holds Jabberwock variety show

The focus of Saturday’s Jabberwock show is legacy, as the hosting Delta Sigma Theta sorority heads into its 50th year at the University.

The theme for the Jabberwock variety show is “A Golden Celebration of Art, Fashion

and Talent.”

Co-coordinators for Jabberwock Sydney Howell and Catherine Peterson said the idea behind the theme was to keep it consistent with the sorority’s 50th anniversary, which occurs the week after Jabberwock.

“Everything this year is … about the legacy of Epsilon Omicron Chapter of Jabberwock,”

Peterson said.

The show has many elements, including a fashion show, poets, singers, dancers, gymnastics, a rap performance and an art display.

Howell said the show includes 20 models and seven or eight participants in the talent portion.

One of the models is sophomore Terrin Bates. He said he decided to audition because he wanted to get involved after attending Jabberwock last year.

Bates said he enjoyed Jabberwock because it is “a collaboration of art, music and culture among African-Americans in a fun, creative,

positive way.”

Howell said this year’s Jabberwock will highlight some small businesses in the area.

“That’s actually the clothes that will be in the show, so there’ll be vendors that people can buy the clothes that they see [from],” Howell said.

Howell said planning the show has been a long process.

“We’ve been planning it all year, since the school year started,” Howell said.

Peterson agreed pulling the show together has been intensive, but said the work is worth it.

“It’s a lot of work just with us on campus, but to me it doesn’t seem that hard because it’s something that I enjoy so much,” she said.

Peterson said the way was made easier by alumni.

“Luckily, our alumni, they did a good job of keeping a record of everything that they did, so we didn’t have to start from the ground up,” she said.

The show’s history was on Howell and Peterson’s minds as they spoke about Jabberwock.

“I consider it an honor,” Howell said of coordinating the event. “The show’s been going on in BG since 1967, so just the fact that I get to continue that is pretty huge.”

Peterson said, “It’s exciting to just keep it going and make it awesome and put our own spin on things.”

Sophomore Malicia Tuck, who will be performing a dance at the show, said to her Jabberwock is

about talent.

“It’s a celebration of all talents,” she said. “Jabberwock is a place people can show off talents other people may not know about.”

She added that Jabberwock was a “safe place” to show off these skills.

Peterson said one of the great things about coordinating the show was getting to know the talented people involved.

“It’s not limited to the black community, but it’s something that usually mostly the black community is a participant of, so it’s cool to see all the talent that they have,” she said.

Bates said that Jabberwock is something all people

can enjoy.

“I encourage everyone of all races, backgrounds and cultures to come experience Jabberwock,” Bates said. “It’ll be a great time.”

Jabberwock will begin at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 21, in Olscamp 101.