Falcon end near perfect season, finish third in MAC

Cooper Pool may have fallen quiet with the end of the Bowling Green swim and dive team’s season, but the cheers are still being heard.

The program is coming off of one its best seasons finishing 9-1 in the regular season and a third place finish in the Mid-American Conference.

“It’s says a lot about the team and how they want to get things done,” head coach Petra Martin said. “They want to win everything they can.”

The Falcons took down a list of competitors in the pool, breaking records and shattering personal bests.

Bowling Green opened the season with three straight wins before heading into the Georgia Tech Invitational. There, the team faced Southeastern Conference programs — some of the best in the country.

The Eastern Michigan Invitational gave the team a chance to swim in the pool they would later compete in at MAC Championships.

From there, the only loss came to Buffalo by eight points. Akron, Eastern Michigan, Toledo and Michigan State were just a few of the teams to be checked off on Bowling Green’s list.

Despite the repeated wins, junior Jordan Bullock said the season meant more than just victories.

“Looking back on my three seasons this one was definitely one of the best,” Bullock said. “It wasn’t the best season just because we had a winning record, but because the team was so close-knit.”

That close-knit team helped lead the Falcons to a third-place finish in MAC Championships for the third consecutive season.

Although the Falcons have stayed in third, each year the overall points total has increased. Bullock said while the placement matters, it’s the progress that keeps her motivated.

“It shows that all the work we are putting in is working,” Bullock said. “As long as we keep moving forward that’s all that we can ask for.”

The progress is something the team looks to keep furthering next year with most of the roster returning to the pool.

“We’re not necessarily in the position where we’re replacing every spot,” Martin said. “I’m pretty excited about that, seeing how the women have gotten better this year.”

There are just four seniors on the 25-woman roster. Junior Alex Poitinger is getting ready for her last season as Falcon.

“I am excited to be able to lead the team and see what we can accomplish,” Poitinger said. “We will keep working hard to chase our dream as MAC champs and take the title away from Akron University.”

For now, the Falcons will hold on to the third-place MAC finish and near perfect season.

The sun is setting over Cooper Pool this year, but soon it will rise again as Bowling Green swim and dive will look to make their mark on a fresh season.