Hockey loses to No. 10 Western Michigan

The BG hockey team battled No. 10 Western Michigan this weekend, losing to the Broncos 3-1 Friday night and tying 2-2 Saturday night.

The Falcons proceeded to lose Saturday’s game in a shootout, but still acquired a point in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association standings.

Western Michigan got off to a quick start in Friday’s game, outshooting the Falcons 13-1 in the first period. BG goalie Andrew Hammond was strong, keeping the Falcons in the game by stopping 12 of the Broncos’ shots.

Dane Walters scored the Broncos’ goal late in the period.

Western Michigan extended the lead to 2-0 early in the second period, with Chase Balisy scoring a shorthanded goal just 1:16 into the period.

However, BG battled back quickly, with Bryce Williamson cutting the lead in half just over two minutes later. It was Williamson’s first goal of the year.

“We almost had like a 4-on-2 and I drove the net,” Williamson said. “[Ryan] Carpenter made a good play and fed [Rusty] Hafner in the slot. I didn’t see the shot and it just ended up going in off my skate.”

Despite trailing by only a goal after two, BG had only six shots combined in that time frame. The Falcons only had 12 shots in the game.

“They play a smart game and kind of keep you to the outside,” Williamson said. “We were able to get pucks down low on them, but weren’t able to come out with too many pucks when we were down low.”

Hammond played exceptionally in the game, stopping 29 of 32 shots.

Western put up its third goal on the power play on a point shot from Kenney Morrison.

The Broncos received a productive game from their defensemen, despite the absence of All American Dan DeKeyser. They combined for a goal and three assists.

“They’re defense is really offensive,” said Hafner, who had the secondary assist on Williamson’s goal. “They’re able to get pucks through from the point.”

Early on Saturday, it appeared as if it would be much of the same from the previous night.

Dan DeSalvo took a penalty for BG 14 seconds into the game. Just 12 seconds into that power play, Morrison put the Broncos on the board with his second power play tally of the weekend.

However, the Falcons were able to turn it around quickly, putting strong pressure on Western Michigan for much of the period. Despite not getting on the board, the Falcons outshot the Broncos 11-5 in the period and had clear momentum heading into the dressing room.

“I think that shows the resiliency that I thought we had our arms wrapped around at the end of last year,” said BG Coach Chris Bergeron regarding the team’s quick in-period turnaround. “There was a sense on our bench that we’re just going to keep playing.”

“We’ve been a little bit of a roller coaster ride in terms of in-game dealing with adversity,” he said. “Last weekend, we let that turn into a 6-1 loss. Last night and tonight we showed that resiliency that I believe this program has.”

Much of that pressure came from an increased physical presence.

Both teams traded big hits throughout the game, but early on the Falcons appeared to have an edge in that department.

“I thought it was a physical game,” Bergeron said. “I don’t think we really took it to them physically, they responded. We know the way they like to play and what they’re good at. They like to get up and go so you have to finish your checks.”

The Falcons rode that momentum into the second period, tying the game less than a minute into the frame, when Carpenter tipped a point shot from Connor Kucera over the shoulder of Western Michigan goalie Frank Slubowski.

The Falcons took the lead later in the period on Andrew Wallace’s first goal of the season.

There was a scramble in front of Slubowski for the puck and Chad Sumsion put the puck off the back of Slubowksi’s leg. The puck appeared to be right on the goal line and the Falcons celebrated as if it was in.

However, the ref emphatically waved that the puck was not in. Wallace noticed and alertly sprinted toward the puck and dove to knock it in before anyone on Western Michigan could recover.

“Reaction just took over and I sprinted in and dove for it,” Wallace said. “Luckily I was the first one to get there and pop it in.”

As the game went on, Western Michigan slowly started to regain momentum, thanks in large part to an increased physical presence.

The Broncos were able to tie the game 52 seconds into the third period with another power play goal. Morrison took a shot from the point that BG goalie Tommy Burke was unable to control. Walter took the rebound and kicked it out to Shane Berschbach, who had a wide-open tap-in on the back door.

The Falcons were able to hold for the rest of regulation, getting outshot 6-2 by the Broncos. BG turned up the pressure in overtime, but was unable to beat Slubowski.

In the shootout, Williamson and DeSalvo missed for BG, while Berschbach and Dennis Brown both scored for Western Michigan, with Brown ending the game on a dizzying deke of Burke.

The Falcons played both games without co-captain Cam Wojtala, who Bergeron considers day-to-day with a lower body injury.

Burke stopped 18 of 20 shots in the game.

The Falcons will face No. 20 Ferris State at home this weekend.