Hockey to open series with Michigan State

Dajon Mingo, forward, shoots the puck against Ohio State this past weekend. The Falcons will host and travel one game each with MichiganState.

The BG hockey team will take on Michigan State this weekend in one of four home-and-away series this season.

Friday night’s game will be played in East Lansing, while Saturday’s game will be at the BG Ice Arena. Both games are scheduled to begin at 7:05 p.m.

BG has not played well against Michigan State in recent history. The Falcons have not beat Michigan State in regulation or overtime since the 2008-09 season, and have an eight-game losing streak at the Munn Ice Arena, dating back to Feb. 24, 2007.

BG is 0-4 against the Spartans under Coach Chris Bergeron, with all four games being played at Munn Ice Arena. In those games, BG has been out scored 13-3.

“We just have not gone to Munn with a real purpose,” Bergeron said. “I want that to change on Friday. We want to put up more of a fight.”

When asked why the Falcons have had such a difficult time playing at Michigan State, Bergeron said while the Spartans have played well, some of the problems for the Falcons have been self-inflicted by their play.

He also pointed to how quickly things tend to happen at Munn Ice Arena because of the fast boards.

“Pucks bounce off the boards like no other,” he said. “We have quick boards here, but theirs are faster and quicker than ours. If you’re not ready, all of the sudden it’s bang-bang off the end wall and on the tape of the forward and the puck’s in your net.”

The Spartans come into the weekend with a 2-3-1 (1-1-0 Central Collegiate Hockey Association). Defensively, they were overpowered in their opening weekend against Minnesota. In the two games, the Spartans were out scored 12-2.

However, they have been much stronger of late, allowing only 10 goals during their previous four games in which the Spartans have a 2-1-1 record.

“They’re trying to develop who they are,” Bergeron said. “I think they know who they want to be and are trying to make that happen. They’re a talented group; that’s the thing that we can’t lose focus on.”

The Spartans entered the season having to replace one of the top players in the nation in defenseman Torey Krug, the 2011-12 CCHA Player of the Year.

Helping fill his production on the blueline has been freshman John Draeger, a third round draft pick by the Minnesota Wild in the 2012 NHL Draft. In six games he has one goal and three assists.

Junior goalie Will Yanakeff has started five of the Spartans’ six games in net, including both losses to Minnesota. For the season, he has a 4.02 goals against average and a .876 save percent.

Goalie Andrew Hammond is once again questionable for the Falcons. Should he not be able to go, freshman Tommy Burke (2.22 GAA, .913 save percent) would be the likely starter in goal.