LGBT center gets new coordinator

The Office of Multicultural Affairs has hired Katie Stygles as the new coordinator of LGBT programs for the LGBT Resource Center.

Stygles has been involved in the University community in multiple ways. She originally came to campus to conduct several HIV prevention programs. Stygles recently completed her doctorate in the University’s Higher Education Administration program. She completed her undergraduate degree at Xavier University in Cincinnati.

“I had specifically waited for this spot, this position, to be open. I’m very happy to be here,” Stygles said. “Being part of the community here, I had an understanding of the ways things work, and I’ve been able to participate in some of the programs that the Office of Multicultural Affairs has done in the past.”

The Higher Education Administration program offers specific topics for graduate students to focus on. Stygles decided to focus on social justice issues in higher education throughout her studies.

This position was previously known as the LGBT Resource Director, but Stygles still has the same duties. She oversees events like Coming Out Day and Gender Awareness Week, serves on multicultural committees and acts as a staff and faculty consultant. Stygles also advises Vision, a student-run organization for the LGBTQ+ community.

“For me, a position like this is like being a professional activist, and to really make sure our students are connected to all of the services that they need,” Stygles said.

The LGBTQ Resource Center began in 2007. Its creation led to new activities and programs that involve the LGBTQ community, such as the Big Gay Picnic, Right to Marry Day and Coming Out Support Group. Stygles hopes to continue the growth of these events in her new position.

“One of the things I really love about this position as well is the opportunity to build up the Safe Zone program and to make sure that our LGBTQ+ students are supported by a network of allies,” Stygles said.

Stygles also hopes to get a better understanding of LGBTQ+ students’ needs.

“I’d love to be able to do a student need assessment,” Stygles said. “The real mission of a position like this is supporting students and making sure that our University is embracing diversity and being inclusive.”

Certain changes have already been made to LGBTQ Resource Center services. Previously, the support groups offered by the LGBTQ+ Resource Center have been open group models. Stygles recently contacted the University counseling center and opted for a closed group discussion.

“In the past, they had been more of a discussion group model. You would see advertisement on campus and it had the location of the group,” Stygles said. “Now people who are interested in participating have to contact the LGBTQ Resource Center or the counseling center.”

Stygles hopes that this will create a more inclusive environment for those who have not come out or are questioning.